experience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by riaz.hasan, Dec 21, 2006.

1. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

hey guyz, i'm working for a company as helpdesk, but its not really related to computers, more to do with providing phone support and testing phone lines through system online and dispatching technician if there is a problem with a line, or trying to troubleshoot the handsets and sockets to identify the problem...
    i was wondering does this at all count as workexperience, i didnt have phone support experience so i took this job to gain probably 6 months worth of phone support experience and then look for something closer to computers. advise needed :)
    thanx

PS forgot to mention i'm working still on my mcsa 2k3

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Riaz,

I am not any good when it comes to writing or preparing for CV's - I ask my Uncle, but you are gaining valueble experience in your curent role.

From what you have said, *dwell* on;

* Customer contact
    * Customer satisfaction
    * Diagnostics
    * Logical thinker
    * Hungry to learn
    * MSCA Student

Merry Christmas

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mate it defo counts as experience - your dealing with customers, troubleshooting problems, logging calls accurately, everything an IT helpdesk support bod would do, the only diff is that it's not IT (it is in a way) related, but your certs will reflect your knowledge and commitement in the IT world...

Good luck with your role and your certs

4. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

hey thanx guyz, i really needed the advise...man! i love this forum:D

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  5. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Yup what the other said

You're getting experience of supporting users, using call logging software, escalating requests and feeding back to users.

At entry level that's almost more important than tech knowledge because you can learn that on the job. The way it is in an organisation is always different to how it goes in the book.

Plus you're studying so that's a plus.

Be sure to emphasise your commercial experience in your CV - especially in the opening paragraph and the cover letter.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging