Exchange 2010 Edge Server - Active Sync

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by craigie, Sep 30, 2011.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

We have clients who need to ensure they have no ports opended up to the internet for there LAN apart from SMTP mailflow which is locked down to the providers public IP's.

All traffic is directed into the DMZ for any remote access and then validated via two factor authentication in the DMZ and based around group membership they get access to OWA, TS, SharePoint etc.

Currently they use BlackBerry's as there mobile phones, however they want to move to using iPhones, Andriods etc.

We have one server performing CAS/Hub and another which is the Mailbox Store. I was thinking about introducing a Edge Server and placing this into the DMZ, this would then take care of the SMTP mailflow, however I'm pretty sure that 443 need to be open to the CAS/Hub server on the LAN for this to work.

I wouldn't be able to put the CAS role in the DMZ.

Any thoughts?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Not sure about port 443 but I am pretty sure you need TCP port 25 and TCP port 50636 opened (for Edgesync over SSL)...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Cheers Shinigami, that was the guide I was looking at.

I was wondering if there was a way to make this work??

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

CAS servers are NOT supported in a DMZ, and by DMZ Microsoft define it as any network segment with port restrictions to the network segment that the Exchange servers reside

to accomplish this we would normally deploy a reverse proxy server such as TMG which will straddle the DMZ and internal network and provide pre-auth capabilities and provide a lock down mechanism
    Internet -> TMG Open
    TMG -> Exchange restricted
    this may meet the clients needs
    but i spent a long time with a bank in Cali making them see the error of their ways (they also demanded CAS in the DMZ), ultimately, any imaginary security gain (putting a CAS server in a DMZ is a security loss) is significantly more risky than losing support on a mission critical system, so have them do the risk assessment

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
    craigie likes this.
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, used to stick ISA 2006 as a reverse proxy in the DMZ to then forward traffic to the resources on the LAN.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Cheers Phoenix, I thought I wasnt barking up the wrong tree.