EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Theprof, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

What do you guys think of this video card? worth the money?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=41125&Sku=E145-0550

I am looking for something mid class not too expensive to play games like WoW and Starcraft II mainly... every other game I usually play on the console.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

For the money it looks like a nice piece of kit. They cost about the same in pounds over here (surprise surprise). If you have a look at this chart it gives you an idea of it's relative performance using a synthetic benchmark.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gtx-550-ti-sonic-review/14

It's faster than say a Radeon 5770, which would be a little cheaper but is also a good card.

Conclusions over value for money etc.. here :-

http://www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gtx-550-ti-sonic-review/20

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

tomshardware also has some nice video card charts... if you fix yourself the highest price you're ready to go with, and then look at the stuff on offer, you can find the best value out there. Just takes some time for all this research... but I guess you can't go wrong with the new 5xx series cards, seem to be quieter than the ATI's overall.

But then again for something like WoW, you don't need the faster thing out there, and I believe the same goes for Starcraft II.

Personally, I'm looking at the 590 right now, seems to be a tad slower than a 6990 from ATI, but considerably quieter. Now if I could find a 6990 with water cooling, that could peak my interest.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I have a pretty decent system and I don't really want to invest tons of money on video cards as I mostly play console games rather than PC. It just so happens that I play WoW and SC2 every now and then so I would like the card to be able to handle that.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA