Event ID help

Discussion in 'Networks' started by SimonV, Jul 17, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'm getting an error in the File Replication Service event log:

Event ID = 13562

Source = NtFrs

Description = Following is the summary of warnings and errors encountered by File Replication Service while polling the Domain Controller <domain controller DNS name> for FRS replica set configuration information. Could not find computer object for this computer. Will try again at next polling cycle.

From what i've found out so far is that i need to do the following:

Anyone know how to use the said tool?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Never even heard of it mate, Sorry
    :roll:

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hello Si

On the w2k server installation CD in the directory support\tools are the support tools installation files. Part of those tools is LDP.exe, you can launch it from the cab or install the tools and access it via "Start > programs > windows 2000 support tools > tools > Active Directory administration tool", it allows you to directly search and modify the LDAP directory.

Have you removed a computer which is trying to be updated by the frs? From the quote you gave it sounds like they are instructing you to remove references to that computer from AD

HTH

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

so what is LDAP ?

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

LDAP stands for Lightweight Directory Access Protocol, Active Directory is an LDAP directory you'll find a far better definition here than I could give.

6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

The full text from the error is:

From what i can gather its from an old dfs root that was removed from the domain. As you can see the server "net-server1" root "data" is the problem. Never used the ldp tool any pointers on removing the refrenced object.

I got this far with the help from the eventid website.

Thanks in advance

8. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

9. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Si, take a look here on the minasi forum, there are a couple of options you could try before directly deleting stuff from AD which scares the bejasus out of me.

10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I've done that already and this did clear some of the other FRS errors. :eek:

I've done this but not sure it was in the location mentioned. Will check tomorrow :idea:

11. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Is this a work related error? :?:

12. SimonV
    Honorary Member

No, it's a W2k server error from a DFS (Distributed File System) root that has been removed unsuccessfully. :D

13. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

What i meant was is it an error you have on a home machine or is it on a machine at your work place

14. SimonV
    Honorary Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: Sorry mate. Work related!

15. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

si sorry if went over ground you've already covered and you may have already figured this out for yourself but here goes.

Launch LDP
    open the connection menu
    select connect
    enter the name of your domain controller and make sure it is using port 389, click ok
    open the connection menu
    select bind
    enter details of a domain admin account for the domain you have connected to
    open the view menu
    select tree
    in the text output will be a load of info on the domain you have connected to
    in the pane on the left is an expandable item along the lines of dc=yourdomain,dc=co,dc=uk
    expand that option
    somewhere around 7th line down is an entry along the lines of cn=system,dc=yourdomain,dc=co,dc=uk doubleclick on that
    in there is an entry cn=dfs-configuration,cn=system,dc=yourdomain,dc=co,dc=uk

I'm not sure whether that is exactly where the replica object is but it's a good place to start, alternatively there is probably an entry something like

cn=server1root|data\
    cnf:d5bcc4ea-148f-4039-a89b-2650f6bc024e,cn=server1root,cn=d04f6aa9-7136-46b4-95e7-6dd5055e2549,cn=dfs volumes,cn=ntfrs subscriptions,cn=net-server1,ou=domain controllers,dc=itsuite

somewhere in the hierarchy. Once you find what you are seeking right click it, select delete and zap the sucker :D
    If you have problems doing that I read somewhere you can only delete leaf objects, not containers with objects in so you may have to start at the very end of a branch and work backwards. Hope this is a bit more useful.

16. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the pointers Phil. Strange thing is there are no enties that i can find that relate to the said object. :? Under ANY branch. Its not causing any major problems but i just want to get to the bottom of it :roll:

17. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

what happens if you right click the root domain object and do a search for frsMemberReference?

18. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I'm back at this site today so will take another look at this.

19. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Found it. It was under the Domain Controllers CN> NTFRS subsciptions>DFS Volumes.

Deleted entries on both controllers stopped the Distributed File System service and started it agian. No errors. Thanks Phil for the help. 50 Points awarded for that.