ESXi Networking Study Guide

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by craigie, Jun 19, 2012.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Over the past week I have been putting together an overview/study guide for ESXi networking as I'm preparing for my VCP 5 exam.

I have tried to cover the points that I find appropriate and use language that means something to me!

Hopefully it might help a few people out.

ESXi Networking Part 1

ESXi Networking Part 2

ESXi Networking Part 3

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I'm surprised no one has commented on this. I thought there were some interesting topics on your blog and gave them a read. I'll probably read anything vm at the moment tho :D

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks mate, more blog posts to come :)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

A couple of comments on part 1, for clarity:

- you can't trunk a vSwitch with another vSwitch
    - the default port group name has a space in it - it's "VM Network"
    - port group name consistency across hosts is required for VM migration and failover

- - - Updated - - -

And comments on part 2:

- VMkernel ports are also used for HA heartbeats
    - multiple VMkernel ports enables VMkernel networking across multiple IP subnets and VLANs
    - technically, VMkernel ports do not require an uplink to work - uplinks are there to connect the vSwitch to an equivalent uplink port on a physical switch

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  5. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

And part 3:

- what do you mean by "connections" in the first sentence? The load balancing policy determines what happens
    - ESXi can only load balance on traffic that leaves the host through an uplink, but the physical network can still load balance on what comes into a host
    - you are not guaranteed an even balance of VMs to uplink with the default load balancing policy
    - a VM NIC can be assigned to a new port ID if you alter the VM NIC is connected to an alternate port group then back to the original port group
    - you don't have to have all the uplinks connected to the same physical switch to use the IP hash policy if your switches are stackable - the key requirement is the physical switch ports must be aggregated using 802.3ad, or Etherchannel as Cisco would call it
    - the notify switches option causes the transmission of a RARP when those events occur
    - your definition of the security options isn't clear
    - you didn't discuss the fail back policy

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks Scott, i will update my blog :)

7. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

I shouldn't post so late at night, I forgot to say that I actually like the articles - easy to read/consume :-)

jk2447 likes this.
  8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Course you should mate, machines don't need sleep..... 8)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs