Error Installing Telnet on Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hey guys, running Vista Ultimate x64 and am unable to install Telnet. I've previously had it installed, but I had to rebuild a month or two back.

Now, when I try to install I get an error stating that not all components could be installed. Tried installing via

ocsetup telnetclient

and got an error stating that the component couldnt be found.

Checking the eventlog, I've got HEAPS of errors stating more or less the same thing:

(EventID: 4375)

Any ideas?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Fergal1982

Also tried This

No joy. StoreDirty didnt exist.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The best that I could find is this. It's in german though so you might need to run it through a translator.

Another thing to think about is that it worked 2 months ago but not now. Try uninstalling some recent patches.

Maybe system restore to just after the install.

Have you also tried safe mode? (does vista have safe mode?)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Sure it has a safe mode, the power button, never switch it on mode :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Fergal1982

As an update, its actually affecting any optional components.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Download all the latest patches, if it doesnt work then perhaps another rebuild. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Fergal1982

I was up to date with the patches. Tried uninstalling the updates from recently (im hoping this started recently), so ill see how that goes when we get home.

8. Fergal1982

didnt work. still failed. tried running sfc, and everything checks out ok. ill give safe mode a shot but i doubt it will work.

I really REALLY dont want to have to waste shedloads of my time rebuilding... again!

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You could always install Putty! :biggrin

Much nicer than M$ telnet.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. Fergal1982

Didnt even boot to safe mode. Looks like the errors started around the time i installed mysql - removing it didnt resolve the issue.

looks like its going to have to be rebuilt again. mutter.