Erm...Aparently I'm an MCITP!

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by simongrahamuk, Jan 24, 2008.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Got an email from MS last night:

Now I did take 621 but I failed it ages ago, I passed 620 and gained MCTS: Vista.

Wondering what this was all about I went and checked my Transcript and sure enough it now lists MCITP: EST as well as MCTS. :blink

They have even given me a free exam voucher. Any suggestions as what I should use it on?

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's great news :) Just checked my e-mails and got one too. All I have to do is wait for my local testing centre to which to Prometric before I take another exam.

Now just have to get into the study mood again (which is alot harder now).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Congrats Simon :)

Congats Ken :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

ME!!!!

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The voucher seems to have a catch. It says that it is valid for any IT Pro, developer or ms dynamics certification. The only other ITP exam that I could possibly do at the min is for the CST since I do not have any of the other TS's required to sit an ITP on another track.

Does that make sense?

And how many acronyms can you use in a single paragraph! It's a good job that I know what they all mean! :biggrin

6. Kitkatninja

Hi Si,

Just wondering what about the 70-648 or the 70-649 exams? You've got until April 2008 to study for it.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

One slight problem - i havent got an MCSE or MCSA on 2k3. Mine is on 2000.

I never really found the time or need to do the upgrade.

8. Kitkatninja

So why not do the MCSA 2k3 upgrade with the voucher (70-292), if you have nothing else you want to do? You got the voucher, might as well use it, or you could sell it (I guess).

-ken

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on your "accidental" accomplishment. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I may do. but upgrading is not something that was high on my priorities list, since I've got the voucher though.....

would it be valid for an upgrade exam? :blink

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Si, you failed the 621 so how did they make you an MCITP?? :blink and im guessing yea why not - you can use the voucher on upgrade exam - but i think you got till june on that!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The voucher runs out at the end of april mate, and I have no idea how I got the cert, but its listed there in black and white! :eek::blink:ohmy:biggrin

13. Kitkatninja

Yep, IT Professional exams are the 070 series of exams, they don't mean that you have to gain the MCITP status.

-Ken

14. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Microsoft gave something for FREE.
    Wow could this be open source from here on in!:rolleyes::ohmy:rolleyes::eyecrazy

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's happened to me as well... I've got the MCITP: EST, but haven't passed 621 or 622! :blink Noticed it when I was explaining to one of our new writers (who just got his first Microsoft cert) how to request a Welcome Kit, and then... "wait a second... I shouldn't have that certification..." :ohmy

Called the MCP Help number, got someone in India who asked me for my MCP ID not once, but twice... plus a ton of other "confirmation information"... and before she even asked what I was calling about, I decided, "you know what? It's not worth going through all this hassle just to tell them that they screwed up a certification I'll eventually get anyway." I excused myself from the call and hung up. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats all :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

So since I've got MCDST and a 70-621 do I just need to pass 70-291 & 70-290 for an MCSA?

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  18. BosonMichael

Sounds that way... check the Certification Planner on the MCP site to be sure.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  19. BosonMichael

SGUK, I've found out why we accidentally got credit for the MCITP:EST. There's a problem in the Certification Planner. I checked Josh's account (cause he hasn't been granted the MCITP:EST) and here's what it says you need:

Okay, this means that you either have to fulfill all of the requirements in Core1 OR Core2.

Core1 states:

Okay, fine, that's the standard track... 70-620 gives you the MCTS: Vista Config, and adding 70-622 gives you the MCITP: EST.

Let's analyze the Core2 requirements:

Okay, that means that you have to do ONE thing in Core3, AND have the MCDST Certification. Fine, that's the upgrade track. Let's see what Core3 says:

Waitaminute... if you've got to do only ONE thing out of Core3, according to the Certification Planner, you can take 70-620 OR 70-621 to successfully upgrade your MCDST to the MCITP:EST. :blink But wait... that's not how it's supposed to work! Only the 70-621 is supposed to be able to upgrade the MCDST... not 70-620.

Since we've got the MCDST, and we've passed 70-620, we've accidentally been granted the certification through a configuration error on their part.

I have sent Trika Harms zum Spreckel an e-mail detailing the error.

20. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Congrats to all you Jammy Dodgers !