Equal Rights for non smokers?

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jun 20, 2006.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Some people have too much time on their hands!

These people have created a website for smokers!

Do you smoke? Are you trying to stop?

Can't afford the patches?

Well have a look at this, something which is free and won't pizz off the boss or offend the non-smokers.

click here

Monkey :lol: :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Someone's got too much free time at work :D

Me? 2-3 packs of Marlboro Reds a day for 12 years :oops: I worked in a shop, and had a nail hangin' from my yap all day long. I was also into anything I could get my hands on, but gave it up all in one fell swoop back in 96. Literally, a different man since then.

*breathes*

Nice.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think smokers have a hard enough time already by persistently being hounded by anti-smoking campaigners.

It's becoming unbearable here in Oz, from July this year you are not allowed to smoke anywhere and that includes outside areas in pubs and clubs.

IMHO smokers work just as hard, if not harder than anyone else and any fag breaks they do take are usually brief and the time is more than made up for either during the break or throughout the day.

It's the fat non smokers eating habits which should be closely monitored, far too many trips to the bakers and sweet shops, not to mention KFCs :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Not too bad a problem in this job but in my last job several people - regular as clockwork every hour a good 10 minutes was spent outside smoking.

Now it wasn't a problem but for them working harder?? They certainly didn't start or finish any later than me and i'd estimate they took the same number of trips to KFC that i did. :blink

Sooner the smoking ban in the UK comes in next year the better.

I work in a nightclub and to come home smoke free will be bliss.

<As he waits for the usual "but you dont have to work" arguement.....>

:twisted:

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I doubt it, one of the known good facts about smoking is that it supresses the appetite, hence people get fat as a pig on KFCs when they stop and then they get bitter and start to give the real workers i.e. smokers a hard time. :twisted: :D

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Smoking ban is now in place up here in Scotland already Matt, and the smoke-free thing is rather nice.

But that's coming from me who's only been stopped for 3 months .... :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Traitor :dry

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

the cypriot public have already said "we rather quit the EU" and remove the president if they ban comes here.. 80% of this place smokes like crazy! :x

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well im going to give my opinion here. im quite a healthy bloke except when it comes to the drink , i love a good pint, and love the southern comfort even more, but in the end that is my choice to go out and do what i like to my self.

Now smokers not only damage themselves but others around them, ive nothing against smokers at all as my friends smoke, but if they could just get the smoke to go in another dircetion to me id be happy. And another thinf why dont pubs put in extraction fans in then im sure the smoke content would be reduced somewhat and non smokers would be more tolerant.

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  10. Tuco

Tuco New Member

The smoking ban has started up here already. Not being allowed to smoke in a pub is shocking. Pubs are not meant to be healthy at all. There were smoke free pubs before the ban and they were always empty. People want to smoke in pubs. Pubs should be allowed to decide for themselves and let the public choose which one to go to. I also don't believe the second hand smoke thing. If someone can smoke 20 a day for 40 years and not get cancer then you are not going to get it from sitting next to someone whos smoking.

WIP: A+
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I couldn't agree more!!

As I said earlier, here in QLD, from July smoking will be banned in all *outside* drinking areas. This is plainly daft and I can't wait to be arrested for breaking the law which states I cannot smoke in the open air even if there isn't a non smoker within a mile of me :x

12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I quit smoking a year ago, and whilst I feel damn good for it, I wouldn't force my reformed opinions on anyone.

My local pub is like your proper gritty village local. 75% of the people that go in there smoke, the carpet is one of those hazy murky red numbers that make you ill when you've had too much to drink. There's no air con. I walk in, in a festoon of smoke, and if you watched me walk out it'd be like I was appearing on a drunken Stars in their Eyes.

But I wouldn't stop going there, because all my friends drink there. And I don't give a rat's a$$ if they smoke, because it's their life, and they're all old enough and ugly enough to make that decision.

Besides, banning smoking in pubs can't be a good thing. All the drunken smokers go outside for a ciggy at midnight, teetering on the side of the pavement. Can anyone say "roadkill"?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What more evidence could you possibly need than that really? I'm just glad that our legal system doesn't stand on such sound reasoning.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Totally agree with this in fact once when i stopped to talk for 5 mins a boss jokingly said have you nothing to do to which i replied i am on a smoke break :biggrin but you dont smoke was the reply

but if i did i would be standing outside with the rest of them doing nothing on company time so whats the difference ??? :biggrin

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  15. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

thats a good one!

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The difference is that the smokers have been forced to go outside, it was not of their choosing. Previously they would have smoked at their desk but the non-smokers got their way once again.

Personally, I feel people should be far more tolerant of others than they are. If a company employs smokers and that company recognises the need to smoke when you are a smoker, and the only place to smoke is outside, what do you expect to see, other than people smoking outside. You can't have your cake and eat it!

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Interesting comments, so blue rinse would you use the screen saver or buy some patches?

What about the non smokers of the company can they have a non-smoker break?

They may not be addicted to ziggs but they might be addicted to fresh air!

Monkey 8)

18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have no intention of giving up smoking. What people don't tell you is that smoking is very enjoyable and it is a vice like any other vice and a very addictive one at that. You should not assume that all smokers want to give up, in fact IMHO most people give up because they can't afford the government levies put on cigarettes.

I was a non smoker for the first 35 years of my life and for 35 years all and sundry smoked at me and in my face regardless of what I said. So now the boot is well and truly on the other foot, I felt if I couldn't beat them I would join them. I've never looked back, met some of the most genuine people in those fag breaks and had some of the most productive conversations with senior management during fag breaks. One thing that never happened as far as I am concerned, is wasted time outside in the freezing cold with the other outcasts.

Smoking together can be likened to drinking together, smokers form bonds with other smokers. It is not all as bad as the propaganda would have you believe.

And before you start, yes I know smoking can cause death but then again living causes death. Believe it or not, even if you were to live in a purified air bubble you would still die and you could well die of cancer.

The notion that a whiff of smoke in the open air is going to cause you long term illness and death is ludicrous and anybody that subscribes to that notion is fooling themselves about what is really polluting the environment. It's not smokers that are polluting our planet and causing acid rain, it is governments. You know those people that insist on having extreme pictures of people with gangrene feet on my ciggy packs :x

19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Fair point (BlueRinse) Pete, and I apologise now if my earlier post offended you!

I was not impling I was against smokers. :oops:

I was just wondering if you would use the software or think it's a waste of time???

Monkey 8)

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No offence taken mate, thanks for giving me the chance to express my views :biggrin