Entry Level Jobs Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Spidey1978, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Spidey1978

Spidey1978 New Member

Hi all,

Thanks to suggestions from this forum I am currently going through the Web Development and Software Development beginner’s lessons on MSDN to see which area I might prefer a career in.

Unfortunately, although I am computer proficient and have a pretty good understanding of IT and rudimentary programming skills I do not have any real experience to speak of.

Bearing in mind I would ultimately like to move in to Web Development/Software Development, is it worth getting an entry level support job as a first step in to the IT world, or should I be looking at junior programming jobs?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JOE

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Look for any IT entry job. Once you are in that role you can spread your wings. 8)

3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I started in frontline support, then moved into a role where i learnt vbscripting for my job. I pestered them until I got a secondment to the apps development team. Once there I gained a bit of experience, and was able to keep the ball rolling when i returned to my normal job. From there, im now in a F/T Development role.

In short, yes. get any IT job first. worry about specifics as you rack up it experience.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present