Employment Advice Needed !

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Professor-Falken, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I was recently hired by a company for a helpdesk position. That company then let me go because I was I employed with them previously a few years back and let go. I now have to interview with another company for a helpdesk position should I mention what happened will it look negative.

Thank you,

Jose Vizcaino

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I suppose that really depends on why they let you go (both times) to be honest. If its bad, then it will look bad. If it can be explained in a satisfactory manner, then do so. Just remember that they are going to be looking for a reference from your previous employer. So lying about it isnt necessarily going to be a good idea.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That mirrors the advice I would have given. If it were me, I'd have to be honest about it, but I'm just wired that way.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

What about they let me go but I realised I needed more knowledge and have been studying hard since and have now achieved blah blah certs to demonstrate my knowledge.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

What are the rules regarding references? Here they can't ask detailed questions. Just stuff like, "did this person work at the company?" and "would you hire the individual again".

Saying that, I wouldn't lie, but I don't think I would mention it either. I'd try to stay away from the topic, but be prepared to discuss the facts if necessary.

Good luck...

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Never ever, ever, ever, mention anything bad in an interview, about you or about anyone else, it will only look bad. An interview is a sales pitch, its like the 'dating period' in any relationship, neither party is totally honest, but thats probably for the best...

I've been recruited for companies which had financial issues and during the interview they were telling me how well the company was doing, guess what 9 months later redundancies were flying...