Employer Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by shadowwebs, Jan 24, 2013.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

At my last job, I wasn't offered any training and I had to undertake the A+ myself forking out the monies. I have been studying the 70-680 where I can fit in the time which has been not much time unfortunately... the reason for my post is that my new employer is offering to pay for me to do the compTIA N+ and Cisco certifications.

My thoughts are now to possibly drop the 70-680 for the time being to do the N+ and Cisco exams and then look at Microsoft again afterwards... opinions?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

If they are paying ... you'd be a fool not to

This job is the one that lasts a year? Do that first, and the 680 can be done in the future.

3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Agree with Ade depending how far down the road you are with the 680. If you think you are only a month off for example then I would finish that first, and then move on with the other Certs being offered. If your employer is offering to pay for you to do proper trainign etc for N+ and CCNA (I assume), then I think you could easily do both in 9 months tops (Even without training I would say these are possible in this time frame).

As said though, if they are paying, then bite their hands off for it mate! Not many companies around these days that will actually pay for training, usually just refund exam costs as long as you pass.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I agree, I also found the Network+ quite interesting in my early days, so hopefully that'll help you stay motivated and get it under your belt!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes agree with all here...

If you've booked tge 680 exam within a month or so, then carry on. Otherwise just take the N+ etc and go back to it later.

And cograts, as that's a good offer..!

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  6. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

ade yes it is the one that lasts for 12 months which I started on 2nd January and they are already telling me that I am one of the best tech's they have had... not bad when I am still finding my feet

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  7. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Bodes well for the future then. Hopefully it means they can either find money to keep you, or you will be first in line should someone finish. Worst case scenario, you should be getting a fantastic reference at the end of it.