1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EIGRP

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by kammodo, Oct 29, 2008.

1. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

Ok EIGRP. I want to propagate a default route from my edge router pointing to the ISP. Other EIGRP enabled routers are on the same process number authentication ect which need a default route.Classless routing is enabled and no-auto summary has been set. I dont want to use re-distrabute static because the other routers dont need to know about the edge router's local manually configured addresses. Which is better to use: propagate ip-default network command and advertise through that way? or use a summary route within the EIGRP config? Do they accomplish the same end result or is one preferable over the other for a different reason?

Attached Files:

Certifications: CCNA R+S, CCDA , CCNP r+s , CCDP
    WIP: CCIE
  2. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

There are a number of ways to propagate a default route in eigrp. Common ways are to redistribute a static default route or to configure a summary address.

Redistributing a static route is straightforward, will cause the default route to be an external eigrp route. Just redistribute through an access-list to prevent any other static routes from being advertised, e.g.:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.1
    router eigrp 123
    redist static route-map def-route

route-map def-route
    match ip address 10

access-l 10 per 0.0.0.0

Configuring a summary address will cause the default route to show as an internal eigrp route. I would suggest using a high admin value for the summary to prevent the route to null0 from overriding other default routes, e.g. one learned from bgp, for example.

int f0/1
    ip summary-add eigrp 123 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 225

You can also use the ip default-network.

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
  3. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

Thanks for that Spice_Weasel.
    The finer details of EIGRP are yet to sink in, so your help is much appreciated.
    Kammodo

Certifications: CCNA R+S, CCDA , CCNP r+s , CCDP