1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Boot w/ RAID 0 (Vista + 7)

Discussion in 'Software' started by fliquid, Aug 12, 2011.

1. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

I've been running Vista x86 for quite a while using 2 x 500GB sata drives in RAID 0. I've reached a point where I think I need some 7 in my life.....

Is it possible to dual boot with 7 x64 WITHOUT destroying Vista and maintaining the raid config? (If so, how? :biggrin)

I need time to sort out what I need to keep in Vista but at the same time I'd like to get 7 up and running ASAP.

If/when it's all done and I've sorted out all my Vista junk, I'd like to be able to get rid of Vista completely.....

Any tips appreciated....

Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd never consider it, but then I've never tried it either. I use a host computer and then create the machines I need in VMWare Workstation. That way I don't have to boot back and forth between platforms. Right now I run a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit host with 2 VMs: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit. I'm probably going to move my VMs to a separate server with a lot more capacity so I can create a true virtual networked environment, but in my opinion, virtualization software completely does away with the need to dual boot.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

I've tried to go the VM route but with only 2gig of RAM it's painfully slow :cry:

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That's true. You'd need a lot more RAM, but a 64-bit system will support quite a bit more than 2 GB.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

that's only if the mobo is up for it though so that will need to be changed if it's not suitable. I have a vista laptop running xp pro and server 2003 r3 on virtual machines. it's a little jerky but its more convenient than dual boot etc. If you don't have the resources though, dual boot is the best option i think. can't help you with the raid set up et al as i've never done it. sorry

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Depends, is the raid 0 set in hardware or software? If it's the former, you can install Windows 7 and it will automatically allow a multiboot setup. With MS OS's you need to put the oldest OS on first and the newest last, which works just fine in your case.

If it's a software raid set via dynamic disks, then I'm not sure if that would work. Mind you it's a fairly pointless setup anyway if it's software raid 0.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

Heh, unfortunately it is the latter.

I suppose I'll have to organize my Vista stuff out afterall.....

Software raid = poop?

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It's not poop, but you will incur a significant overhead by doing it in software and the speed benefits will be minimal.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada