Dual Boot-Fedora 5 with XP

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Weemez, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Hey Guys!!

I realise i havn't been around for a while but with work, part time work, volunteer work in the network dept at my work and my N+ work its been a bit hectic, plus keeping my girl sweet after doing all this work!! Oh and thank you to the people that wished me a happy birthday and apologies for not replying.:oops:

OK these are my questions:

1. After doing some research i havn't quite been able to come up with the exact answers i have been looking for, could i just use disk managment with my home version of XP to partition my HDD for Fedora 5? There is 50gb of free space.

2. What partition sizes do you recommend for this?

3. I've read in places that the GRUB takes over the boot sector although im not too clear on what the GRUB is (equivelant of NTLDR?).

Thank you in advance for any help, i dont expect full documentation but i little help here or a little guide there would be much appreciated.

Good to see CF as popular as ever!:thumbleft

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Free in what way? If the whole drive is given over to XP, with no other partition then Disk Manglement won't fix that.

To do that either use something like Qparted on Knoppix live CD, or it may be that Fedora can change the allocated space during installation. (I know Debian will do this - not used Fedora)
    In the absence of any other info - half and half?

No - it replaces the tiny loader software on the first sector of the disk (normally). It produces a menu of the possible OSes to boot - in this case Fedora and XP. So in some ways it is similar to what NTLDR does - just happens earlier in the boot sequence. If you boot XP from the GRUB menu then NTLDR will take over.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Hi Harry

yes its a single partition. Its an 80 gig drive with 50 free.

Thanks for input mate.

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Is it a 1 partion where you are occupying 30GB or its 2 partitions and one is windows xp and the other is free space?.

From my knowledge and they way I had it setup was I created 1 partion with a certain amount of disk space. Example: lets say I had a 200GB hard drive I would partion lets say 80gigs for windows and the unpartionned space I would leave it blank.

Then I would run Linux fedora core 5 and use their Disk Druid to manualy partition another partition in the free unpartioned space that I had, because as you all know linux uses ext2, ext3, etc filesystem instead of NTFS, you will not be able to install linux on NTFS although it recognizes it in the partitioning tool (Disk Druid)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Ok after proper chack on disk managment i have:

Back up partition/ basic/FAT32/Healthy unknown/ 10.85 capacity/6.87 free.

HDD(C)partition /basic/NTFS/System/ 63.67 capacity/41.67 free.

Hope this helps.

6. hbroomhall

So there is no free space left unpartitioned on the disk. Assuming you want that FAT32 partition then you need to readjust the NTFS one.

I'd suggest 40G NTFS and 20G Linux - but it rather depends on what you want to do with it.

Harry.

7. hbroomhall

A rather unusual line there. Is that how it appeared? Perhaps this is a hidden recovery partition. What make and type of machine is this?

Harry.

8. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

yes harry i think this must be packard bell's recovery partition. Or do some people call them Knackard Bell's!:oops: Its an i-media.

9. hbroomhall

The usual trade name is "Packard Hell". :biggrin

Harry.

10. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for everything harry,

i'll just split the C: drive to my liking. I've just never used any Linux products before and just thought i'd try a dual boot and have a play around with it. Its just me experimenting with things. Just like to get some input coz i dont want to make a complete hash off it!!