Doing unrelated IT things in office.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by aushus, Sep 10, 2012.

1. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Hello Guys,

Sometimes in my role I do unrelated things in my office

I am a jack of all trades person supporting our company and I am a technical person and I am happy to troubleshoot I.T issues for people but when I receive non IT queries do you guys like it?

Like sometimes the office administrator wants me to do shipping etc

or unscrew stuff or even install light bulbs.

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Same here.

I get called upon to help move furniture around, changing light bulbs, fixing the franking machine etc. etc.

It's all part of the job, I suppose :D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Yup same here. Most recently we have been selling stuff through eBay (like 20 items a week), so I end up doing the customer service on that and dealing with the crap that comes from that.

Broke the laminator laminating my gym card last week - managed to fix that, and scrape the hot mess of glue, burnt plastic and burnt card out.

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Not in my current role, although have done in the past. It can be quite annoying at times!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Yep same here and nope I don't like it. It sometimes p's me off, like I don't have my hands full already:rolleyes: When I first started, I did do most things and offered to help (then again, I had less responsibilities) but I'm now more careful. At times I have told people to stuff it and point out that they can do it themselves. Especially if it's something ridiculously easy, like turning something on and off. :D

I'd like to think I'm a helpful person but I'm paid to support staff and maintain the IT infrastructure not unblock the sink and change light bulbs.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Chill - I had to wash the van the other day! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Am I glad I don't have to do that stuff any more... although I used to do it at my first job! I guess it comes with the territories when working for some companies.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. UncleBeard

UncleBeard Nibble Poster

We used to have a saying "If it has a wire on it, they will ask us." :D

We have been asked about kettles, fridges, a toaster, even a big old electric typewriter. :ohmy

Our answer? Does it have an IT Asset tag? If not, we are not responsible :lol:

Never had to clean a van yet!

Certifications: MOS 2003, 2007 and 2010, Master 2003, 2007 and 2010, MMI 2003, MCT, ITIL Foundation
  9. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

There is a limit to what non IT related things I do. If its interesting and I have time then I don't mind doing it.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  10. jm1

jm1 Bit Poster

I generally chip in when need be working for a small company, although when I feel people are taking the P I politely advise them in the direction of someone else who may be able to assist :)