Does a HND open any more doors

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by ericrollo, Jul 1, 2009.

1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I already have a BTEC National Diploma at grade DDD would a HND actually help me considering its another two years.

What would be best Apprenticeship in IT or a HND.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi mate, its a tough one really. I've got two HND's. One in more the technolgy stuff and one in the more development area and neither really count now that I have a degree. It all depends. I think they are a good thing to do as you can earn credits towards a degree.

I suppose it all depends on what area of IT you want to get into. Support roles I'd say give it a miss, programming I'd say yeah do it.

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

There's no best, it depends what potential employers are looking for in the future. Sounds like you got decent grades for the BTEC so I'd recommend the HND as it shows a higher level of commitment.

The HND is more a-kin to degree level

The BTEC is only equivalent to one A-Level

It's your call.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

My HND I felt open doors for me after I had my degree, after it showed progression. Would you be wanting to get that then apply for jobs? I've seen a few first line support jobs saying, hnd or equivelant.

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  5. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Just based on my own experience, an A+ or an MCDST would have allowed me to get a foot in the door, so to speak, much quicker than my HND. However, when I did get given a chance, it seemed that I was able to progress a bit quicker.

Just remember that an HND is a big step up from BTEC, and you will still have to work your way up after completion.

If an IT apprenticeship is on offer, I would take it, and look at getting an HND or degree through the Open University or part time, so you can get that all important experience, show a willingness to learn, and maybe even get your employer to sponsor you.

Best of luck, whichever path you take.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  6. Len

Len Byte Poster

BTEC National Award = 1 A-Level

BTEC National Certificate = 2 A-levels

BTEC National Diploma = 3 A-levels

Thats how it is on the NQF.

He has the equivalent of 3 A's.

I'd go for the apprenticeship if its available, otherwise a HNC/HND

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would say yes in the long term it will help you, even if you didn't do the full HND and did the part-time HNC instead. Added to that, both can be used to top up to a full BSc/BA.

To be honest, both would be better :)

The way I see it:

Are you currently working in IT? If you are then the apprenticeship would be the better choice.

Not working in IT: Then the HNC/HND/fdSc route would be better (as you actually have to be in the job already for the apprenticeship).

If you want to gain your degree level (regardless of it being a BSc/BA or NVQ) qualification faster, then I would say go the HNC/HND->BSc route. Most NVQ/Apprenticeships only go up to level 3. Level 4 (this is HNC to BSc/BA level) are very hard to find, plus you will have to be IT operations management. Level 5 (which is MSc/MA) is practically non-existant.

Anotehr thing to consider, while the NVQ program is accepted europe wide, you may need to get the qualification assessed if you go to a country outside the EU in order for them to accept it.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

My bad. When i did the hnd i already had the grades to jump straight on to the course.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA