Documentation Library/ Team Website

Discussion in 'Software' started by webslinger2k, Nov 22, 2007.

1. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Hi,

after a bit of a recomendation really....

On the lookout for a Team Website/Documentation Repository/Library/interfacey type thing similar in vein to Sharepoint Services.

Couple of conditions – 1) it has to be free 2) ideally runs off IIS (no tomcat etc) as that’s all we have available to us 3) has to be relatively customisable unlike SP which relies too much on FrontPage for my liking…

Its primary use will be to keep our team informed of things on a daily basis, helping shift handover etc - will also have a place allowing us to store documentation and procedures as necessary etc.

Anyone of you have anything you can recommend?

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

MediaWiki is a good tool for a knowledge base
    It's the software that Wikipedia uses

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've had a look at MediaWiki and depending on what you're looking for, it doesn't really provide all of the same functionality as SharePoint Services. I know that in SharePoint Server 2007, you can create wikis using a particular site template, so wiki functionality is basically just one feature in SharePoint.

I know it sounds like I'm being a big SharePoint booster here (which is understandable based on my recent experiences), but I'd be interested to learn about any open source collaboration software out there. I've just not heard about any up to this point.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies...

currently looking at Metadot to see if that can do what I want - been seeing reviews of it here and there on the net and havent seen anything negative yet - just depends if it does what we want really. It being free is obviously a big bonus.

Only problem I have with Sharepoint is that you have to have Frontpage to do most customisation, and thats a real pain in the ass...

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

That's not quite true with MOSS 2007. There are things you must customize with SharePoint Designer, but depending on who you talk to, Designer either is or isn't the heir apparent to FrontPage.

Are you considering installing Metadot on a test server to see how it works?

6. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

yup - just setting up a new machine to VM up and stick Metadot on.

will update the thread with my findings...

have you any experience with MD?

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Nope. Just SharePoint. I suppose if someone commissioned me to write a book, tho...:rolleyes::biggrin:oops: