1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have to know all this?

Discussion in 'A+' started by reverb, Apr 14, 2009.

1. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Hi all,

I was wondering if it's necessary to know about the motherboard chipsets like nForce as listed in the Mike Meyers AIO book? I know how they work but don't remember the names. Likewise, what about the CPUs? Do I have to remember how MB cache, clock speed etc of each CPU?

Do I really have to know how to use a multimeter?

Also I know that 2 forms of ID with a photo and signature are needed, but I only have a passport. What other forms of ID are usually accepted?

Cheers :D
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

It's always checking the objectives before booking.

I would say yes to your questions.

As for the ID bit: i thought it was two pieces; one being photograhic, although i would suggest you contact the host/testing centre for clarification.

Best of luck with the exam!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Yes it would certainly be useful.

Take your passport and your bank card :)
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah I thought so to, the last time I just used my passport.

As said check with the testing centre...
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  5. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I would not spend too much time struggling to memorize all the specs for all the CPUs, I would just know the history of CPUs and have a general idea of which ones go in which slot/socket. I would definately know how to use a multimeter especially since you'll need to know as a practicing tech and because this is an easy bit of information to memorize.
    Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  6. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

The questions are more likely to be like:

What socket(s) could you insert a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 Into?

a) 471
    b) 473
    c) 478
    d) 479

Rather than:

What socket(s) could you insert a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 Into?

a) 423
    b) 478
    c) LGA 775
    d) 370

In the first question, only 478 is a valid answer, because all the others are just random numbers. However, in the second question they're all genuine Intel sockets, so you'd have to have quite a comprehensive knowledge of what processor can go into what socket to know which one to pick. For the record, 1 = c and 2 = b + c
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If it's in the book and the objectives then you may be tested on it. It wouldn't be in there otherwise.
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

I know what your saying reverb, after reading through the entire book cover-to-cover I am trying to make small notes but it is hard to know exactly what to make notes on and how much to write - I tend to write way too much (re-copying the stuff in the book). However I got my girlfriend to randomly test me on any chapter in the book last night and I got all the questions she asked right so It has kinda stumped me as to what to actually take notes on :blink - maybe I remember just by reading the material a few times.
    Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

One of the things I found with the A+, is although it is considered entry level there are lots of facts to remember. I think someone on CF once commented: mile wide, inch deep.
    I made my own flash cards to remember key points from blank post cards. Look at them as often as you can and they will sink in!

Good luck
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I used practice exams to identify my weak areas and concentrated on them.
    I also used them to figure out how deep my knowledge had to be for things like processors. The answers not very deep, as has been pointed out. For CPUs I didn't bother learning the sockets/slots properly.
    Even the 10/20 question trials you get from most of the legit practice exam providers can be helpful for showing you what you need to know. And what you don't know.
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job