Do All Companies Offer MCSE Training?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Godson, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Godson

Godson Bit Poster

The reason why i asked is because I’ve being offered a new position by a financial company to work in their IT department; more money more responsibility, I am currently working for an IT firm and IT qualification/training is a must. I was just wondering do u think the financial firm would also pay for this type of training – MSCE,… (forgot to ask at the interview)

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It would depend on the company, you should really give them a call and ask them. If they say yes make sure that it's written into your contract though.

Many companies like their staff to improve themselves by doing training, it makes the companies look good as they are seen to be investing in their staff.

What a lot of companies will do regarding things like the MCSE is to offer to pay for your training materials and exam fees, but will not pay for you to do any courses, putting the emphasis on you to go out and do the work yourself.

HTH 8)

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

As already pointed out, you lose nothing by asking. Over here it's a pretty much standard thing for the company to pay for everything but have a contract that you stay with the company for a certain time period. If you leave before then then you have to pay back the costs of the training.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

If you do get them to agree definitely get it written into your contract. I was doing an MCSE course a few years ago and met this guy who offered me a job in his new internet start up company. He we very keen that I stopped studying my NT4 MCSE and start with him straight away. He offered me an MCSE course in Windows 2000 (it was the year 2000) if I 'drop what I was doing' and join his company. I was too naiive to see that it was written into my contract and trusted him/his company to honour their promise.

I stopped doing my course (which was being paid for by my existing company) and gave my notice, I'd taken and passed 2 of the NT4 exams (Workstation and Server), I then went off bright eyed and bushy tailed to become the sole system adminiatrator at this new .com company where I'd been promised a Windows 2000 MCSE (the condition for me to cut short my NT4 MCSE I was in the middle of) and exciting work building new servers and hosting environments etc etc.

3 months in I asked what was happening about my course and was told I'd only just passed my trial period and they weren't ready to invest in me yet, this was the same response I got every time I asked after that, always some fob off about 'you have to proove you're worth the investment' or 'we don't have it in the budget at this time'- Excuse me I'd have a full MCSE in NT4 if I hadn't stopped it to come and work for you on the understanding that you'd put me througy MCSE Win2k….

The 'system administrator' job turned out to be predominantly procurement. I did all the desktop/server support which wasn't that much for a company of about 10-15 people- I spent 90% of my time getting quotes for software and hardware for clients and putting them into spreadsheets. There was a lot of me being told to 'get them down on price' when dealing with suppliers and I was made to feel quite inadequate when I didn't show an interest in haggling. My boss would say things like 'Come on Peter- you can get me a better price than that go on I know you can do it' which although very sweet is not what I had in mind when I embarked on a cereer in IT. I've tried sales, I hate it, it's not me and I don't do it- period.

I learnt a lot about trusting people and reading contracts before commiting to anything from this experience. To make things worse I met this guy who owns the company semi-socially so I didn't question his integrity and assumed I'd be OK if I threw away my MCSE to join him. He is a very good salesman I'll give him that.

So back on topic hehe…. Get it in writing if they offer to train you.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  5. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Let me know which company and I'll ring them and get them to buy lots of lovely MCSE training from me :biggrin

Urmmm It really depends from Company to company some will offer MCSE many others wont. Sometimes companies worry that if they give you MCSE training you may leave and go get anouther masybe better well paid job!

You should ask them, and as someone said get it written into the contract. They may also be prepared to part fund?

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

some do
    some dont
    some say they will, and dont
    some say they will, then tie you into a 3 year contract and if you quit you pay up, OR if they sack you you pay it

its a sneaky game they play
    alot of the companies feel if you can do the job already why pay for training, most generally dont give a toss

cant hurt to ask though
    although I would wait for the second interview, phoning up to ask makes it seem like you forgot something that you feel is important (enough to call them) and might come across as unprofessional

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certainly not companies using Novell. :ohmy

jk :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+