Disable Photo Printing Wizard

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

On my (and several users') pc, whenever I open a jpg file, it opens in the Windows Picture and Fax viewer. This is fine, and normal. However, whenever I hit the print icon, it launches the Photo Printing Wizard.

Does anyone have a handy hint to disable the PPW? I found commands to disable the entire preview window, but nothing to disable just the wizard.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

this should work

Code:
    To Disable: Start > Run > regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll

To Re-Enable: Start > Run > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

edit:
    does this help

3. Fergal1982

Nope. I've tried that already. The problem with that is that it disables the entire Windows Picture and Fax Viewer system. So when you double click on an image, it doesnt open. I still want it to appear in the preview window, i just dont want the Photo Printing Wizard to appear when I hit the print option.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I want to do the same thing at work, but I wasn't able to find anything that works. There are some registry fixes but they don't work. I ended up using MS picture viewer or something like that in the mean time. I would love to know how to disable it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

when you think about it the wizard is a logical step, otherwise with new his res cameras, a 6MegaPixel photo could well end up printing over 10 pages, there needs to be an intermediate step to scale, and adjust print settings.

whats teh reason you want to get rid of this?

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  6. Fergal1982

mainly because it insists on loading thumbnails for every single image in the directory that the image is in. Since the image is being loaded from the server, where there is the potential for thousands of images, it causes an unacceptable lag. In particular, since it affects the payroll people printing the expense receipts, and they are under deadline, its doubly unacceptable.