different trial exams, different scores

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Mariusz, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

Hi
    I recently did 3 trial exams:
    Preplogis one with 423 score, which is around 55%
    Total tester from Mike Meyers book - with around 75%
    and Learnkey from N+ Passport with also around 75%
    i still have over a week to exam, but I wonder whether I should try or not
    why the difference is so big?
    I noticed that the Preplogics has too many questions with multiple answers, and I think they give scores 9 points per good question, CompTIA has range of 100 to 900 so they score different way

a bit confused anyway and don;t know what to do now

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

perhaps because the preplogic exam had 100 questions where as the ones from the book only had 50.

The real exam has 100.

if they were all 50 questions then you need to get some proper exams that will cover 100 questions.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

total tester was 50, Learn key was 98, result was similar, about 75%

4. greenbrucelee

yes but you cant base a 50 question exam on how well your doing. It needs to be a varied exam and have the same amount of questions as the real exam i.e 100 questions.

if your getting 443 on a 50 questions test doesn't mean you would get 886 on the 100 question version of that exam so it has no indication of how your doing.

The 98 question exam is a bit better what did you get on that?

5. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

the preplogic was 100 questions, the only one that has 50 Questions was the one form Meyers book
    so 2 exams, different providers, difference in score 15-20%, and don;t know what to expect on real exam now :)

6. greenbrucelee

well the exams are not going to be the same as the real thing otherwise theyd be braindumps.

Just study up on your weak areas and you will be fine.

7. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

I'd suggest some more targeted studying. What I do is pick a topic or domain such as "Network Media & Topologies" and study my reference material for that. Then I take a practice exam and only choose that topic. All the good practice exams (PrepLogic, uCertify, Boson although there is not a current Boson N+ test,..) give me that option. I also generally have more than one vendor's practice exam because I feel it is worth my money to have them and they help. I have always spent more on the practice exams than the references. Here is my experience on the first pass of the PrepLogic exams.
    Media and Topologies - 75%
    Devices - 77%
    Tools - 78%
    Technologies - 83%
    Management - 75%
    Security - 78%
    So, as you can see I was scoring just under 80% on the first pass. After studying the second and third topic I would go back and test on the first plus the new topic, etc. After a lot more studying and testing I took the N+ with a 865 (which I know is an over kill). However since your scores were around 50% I think you should hit the books harder/longer. If you are in the states, and you buy the N+ voucher from Total Seminars (Meyers site) for the same price as the exam directly from CompTIA you can purchase Meyers premium package which included around 700 practice questions! Although I felt his explanations were fairly lame (they don't even compare to Boson explanations) there was a lot of practice I could do. I used the Lammle book which included I think around 400 or more questions (I like LOTS of questions to practice with). Anyway, good luck and hit those books hard! Get'r done before the year end!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  8. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

I think I will delay exam for 1 week, coz I don't feel good about the exam, and it would be pity to loose 169 Pounds :)