DHCP Question

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Sceritz, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Sceritz

Sceritz Bit Poster

I have a simple network with 3 routers a switch coming off each, with two end computers coming off each. On one router I created 3 DHCP Pools for the 3 user networks. The hosts on the network directly connected to this router pulls IPs fine. However even after configuring the DHCP relay (using the ip helper-address command on the other router interfaces) the other networks coming off the other routers cannot pull IPs. I am confused as to what I may have done wrong.

There are no VLANs, ACL's or anything. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Hi Sceritz, are you able to attach the Packet Tracer Activity file (.pkt) so that I can take a more in depth look at the config?

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  3. Sceritz

Sceritz Bit Poster

Here's a link from my drive. It won't let me upload the filetype in post.

DHCP Problem

4. rocdamike

I am unable to review the configuration on any of the three routers since they all have user exec / privilege exec passwords configured.

However, I noticed that hosts PC0 and PC3 both have their IP configuration set to "static". This needs to be changed to "dynamic" so that they are able to retrieve their IP configuration dymanically from the HQ router (DHCP server). All the other hosts are fine and are retrieving their IP configuration dynamically.

5. Sceritz

Sceritz Bit Poster

My mistake, the passwords for everything is: Sparky

Also I must have been really sleepy last night or perhaps it's because I closed and reopened packet tracer, but for some reason the computers that were set to DHCP are now pulling IPs. Very confusing. It didn't work at all last night. However I'm very glad that the DHCP relay command is working as intended! :D

I'm very excited to be learning the intricacies of administration. Thank you very much!

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Eh? :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    rocdamike likes this.
  7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Looks like you've gotta fan there mate.

rocdamike likes this.
  8. rocdamike

You're most welcome :)

Keep up the good work and the best of luck with your CCNA studies! Let us know if you have any more questions.

9. Sceritz

Sceritz Bit Poster

LOL Sparky