DHCP and DNS on the same server

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Theprof, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello,

I am preparing to take the 290 exam soon and basically at the moment my lab consists of a AD/DC server, WSUS server, XP pro pc 1 and pc 2.

I am just curious is it a good idea for me to create another 2k3 server which will host both DHCP and DNS? or should it be done separate? also what about installing DNS on the AD server and DHCP on a separate server? would that be a better practice?

Btw I am running all of this in a VM.

Thanks.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If you don't have any name servers in use on your network when you create a DC it will create a name server right then on the DC and integrate it with your AD domain. In a lab, I don't think there really are any best practices. You just do what you can to maximize what hardware you have. When studying for my MCSE I ran DNS, DHCP, SQL Server, and WINS, right on my DC as I didn't have enough machines to run everything separately. It was in the days before VMWare became popular, but I couldn't have used VMWare anyway as I didn't have enough RAM to run a VM. They'd have been dog slow on a 1 ghz PIII anyway. The way it was by the time I'd get done adding services to my two servers they would be very slow. I'd be sharing files with AD integrated DFS, running a second SQL Server for things such as replication, IIS, a second DC, and FTP on my other server. That's not things you would want to do in the real world, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to learn.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks for the reply freddy. I see your point. I will probably go ahead and install the DHCP and DNS on the same server since I don't have too much memory available to have too many vm's.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA