Debian: how many CD's??

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by supag33k, Oct 10, 2005.

1. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Ping Freddie or Phoenix,

With Debian 3.1r - how many cd's does it take to get the linux os and openoffice/apps etc??

I am at our ISP's linux mirror - where I can ftp download at reduced cost and there are 14 iso's there...surely I dont need all of them??

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Usually, you only need the first ISO image. After that, you can download anything else you need besides the base system using apt-get. Oh...sorry I'm not Freddy or Phoenix. I'm sure they'll be along in a bit. :wink:

:oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

supa,

You can also do a netinstall and install only what you want. A full default Debian install using the netinstall cd is in the neighborhood of a 500-550 meg download. The net install cd itself is only about 110 megs. You can download it from the Debian site too.

As to the full set of cd's, well, I do all my "sarge" installs from the netinstall cd. If I remember correctly from the woody installs I did from cd I used only the first two cds, but woody only had 7 cds, not 14.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for your help people...

I'l just go with 4 or 5 CD's as I can always add via the Net - as it so rightfully has been pointed out.

I have done a bit before with Mandrake and Redhat...but I am a noob with Debian.

First up I am re-partitioning an ntfs volume on an apple notebook to install Debian 3.1r onto. I have partman and ntfsresize 1.9.4 that - from my understanding - can be run from the 1st CD during installation of Debian to re-partition the existing NTFS volume.

I just have to make sure that the notebook still works as Windows 2000 default boot as users may borrow it from time to time.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff