Debian Backports

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by ffreeloader, Apr 6, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This is just a note to let the Debian newbies around here know about this site. I used to use it when I ran Woody and wanted some of the software out of the Sarge release, but then haven't used it for so long I had forgotten about it. I ran across it again just the other day when searching for something else and after seeing some of the struggles some of the newbies have had trying to use packages not in Sarge I figured I better post the link.

They have a lot of newer software packages like Open Office 2.0 that have been backported into Sarge. All you need to do is add them to your /etc/apt/sources.list file, run apt-get update and then use apt to install the package you want from there.

The link is to main page and there are instructions on how to use the site. You can also browse the repostitory there to see what all they have. If you're looking for a specific package the repository is alphabetized so it's easy to search....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks freddy!! or you could learn how to install a package thats not in the current release the hard way! (un taz it, use alien then dpkg it!) :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics