CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Gav, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Hello CF!

I've just put together a CV which I'm planning on floating about to see if I can get some work when I hit the magical 'School Leaving Age'.

It's not for a job in IT, but as you're all friendly people and have a lot more experience than me, I was wondering if you'd be kind enough take a look anyway :biggrin

I've figured that it's hard enough to get a job in IT at the moment anyway, let alone for someone my age, with no prior employment, let alone experience in IT, so I'm going to try and get some administrative work for the time being.

I've tried to keep it short and to the point, but to be honest, there's not an awful lot to write about :p

Cheers,

Gav

(be as harsh as you want in the criticism :twisted:)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Take this out...

Also expand on what you did during your one week placement.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

are your mock results expected results ?

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. MichaelUK

MichaelUK Bit Poster

Gav

Since you have no work history you need to put together what is called a skills based CV

You need to try and round out your skills abit more, what did you do on your work experience, did you answer the telephone, deal with incoming mail and outgoing mail, use the fax machine, type letters or memos, do photocopying, filing, front of house reception?.

Mention which Microsoft packages you can use.

Also try to improve your profile,i know this will not be easy with out more experience, do not use bullet point for your profile just write a short paragraph instead.

Hope this helps.

MichaelUK

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    Certifications: A+ taken back in 1997
    WIP: Network+
  5. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I did well by doing a skills/proficiency table when i had little IT/job experience

somthing like

Windows XP - Skilled - 7yrs exp
    PHP\ASP - Intermediate - 3yrs exp
    etcetc

give it a try

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  6. Geekzilla

Geekzilla Nibble Poster

If you have achived A* across the board in your mocks I would guess these are your expected grades. Why not go onto A Levels, then University before tackelling the world of work. If you continue your studies you can gain further qualifications, perhaps a degree in IT. This would stand you in good sted.

Also Rep to MichaelUK

Certifications: None, Yet
    WIP: Comptia A+
  7. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

My advise is go get some a-levels or like qualifications. Look into apprenticeships and unis with a placement year out in industry. If you go for a degree do so where u have the option to go work for a year before your final year - it will help you! - + many of the big bluechip companies take on placement students.

Theres not many jobs about as it is - specially for school leavers and uni degrees are only gonna cost more - so perhaps you should get these out the way.

Also why not ask if you can volunteer in your school I.T. dept to get some experience? Also perhaps you could help out during the summer period- which is when most of the hard graft goes on, maybe they would like the extra hand.

Didn't look at your cv. Anyway good luck.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  8. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Thank you, however, I think you've missed what I'm trying to do completely (I don't think I made it too clear). I just want some part time work and I'm not to worried about what it's in. There's no way I'm dropping out of education any time soon.

Cheers.

Thanks. In all honesty, I didn't do an awful lot on the work experience, but I felt it was better to include it, than not to include it.

Yup. Most people actually do better in their real exam than their mocks.

Cheers.

9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You should think about call centre work. A lot of entry-level jobs I see specify call centre experience as being necessary/desirable.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job