CV Review

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by michael78, Dec 1, 2009.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Guys as I'm being made redundant I wouldn't mind some input on my CV to see if it's ok or could be improved in any way. All comments welcome (please be nice lol).

Cheers

Michael

Attached Files:

• CV.doc
      File size:
      46 KB
      Views:
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

After a quick flick through:-

• Move your GCSE grades down below your professional qualifications. It looks a bit unimpressive seeing a load of Cs & Ds at the top of a CV. You need a potential employer to concentrate on your best bits so list them accordingly (e.g. list all professional quals, then GNVQs, then GCSE's without grades).
    • Bullet points for employment history are good but the constant "I worked... I worked... I worked" are best left out. You don't need an introduction. Instead list your position, the company, and then follow on into the bullet points.
    • Remove the month aspect of your quals. Instead list them by using the year completed as a sub-title, plus a list underneath (not bullet-pointed)
    • Remove the "being made redundant" part. Just put "Oct 07 - Present"

Hope this helps. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Nice and clearly laid out.
    Nothing really leaps out at me as being 'wrong' as such.

You could remove your marital status - it's one of those things (like age) which could subconsciously make them form assumptions about you which aren't relevant to your skills. Having a wife and family can make you into a solid and dependable sterotype, but it can also make you into someone who likes to go home from time to time. :ohmy

You may also want to remove hobbies and interests. It can cut both ways - unless you've got relevant hobbies that define you as a person or make you look good (such as volunteer work) then to an employer a hobby is just something you'd rather be doing than being in work. :ohmy

As with all CVs (mine included) you might want to try and draw some attention to achievements or things that you do particularly well, rather than just listing job responsibilities. That just tells an employer what you were supposed to be doing without telling them if you were any good at it... :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Cheers guys much appreciated and really good advise. Off to make some changes :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011