CV review and good job sites?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ally_uk, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Hello there guys, can you review my cv please secondly what are the good I.T job sites?

Reed
    Monster
    CWJOBS
    Total Jobs
    Jobsite

anymore??

I have attached my cv

Many Thanks

Attached Files:

2. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I usually use jobserve.com

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  3. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Hey guys if it isn't to much trouble can somebody please review my cv and suggest improvements and give me the lowdown on what sucks about it, i'm a bigboy and can take it on the chin so feel to suggest improvements I appreciate your help.

Many Thanks

4. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Can anyone help?

5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

This isn't a CV review forum mate so hold your horses!

Some notes;

1) Sort out the ridiculous formatting, it jumps from section to section, margin to margin it's shocking. You don't need huge margins for experience, just a quick header above each paragraph.

2) Key skills is just the same as above, I don't even know where to read right off the bat.

3) Vmware experience that isn't highlighted anywhere else makes it look like you have just thrown it in after reading it somewhere. "Group Management, Password resets" should read "AND password resets"

4) Good knowledge of what backup solutions and antivirus software? A lot of companies use a very small range of software for this such as Endpoint Protection and Backup Exec System Recovery. Once again this isn't highlighted and really only reads that you have installed S&D at some point.

5) Active Directory management? what's that? you have occasionally gone into it to create a new user and reset a few passwords?

6) Work experience is so long winded; Who gives a **** if it generated INTEREST from customers? That's like me saying "Changed the layout of the shop so more people looked through the window". Unless someone bought anything it's nonsensical bollocks :D

7) Set up a LAN? more detail needed maybe? right now, that reads you basically connected up some PCs in a room that had none in. Gained Experience in servers? what experience? nowhere does it highlight what exactly you CAN do with a server.

8)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Hey well since I havent had much exposure to Active Directory I have tried to highlight the things I feel comfortable in doing.

So Under the experience section you think I need to go into more detail about the types of technology I have used?

As for the layout of the CV I have used a template I was given by a member of this forum.

What would you suggest I add or remove to improve the CV straight away?

7. westernkings

The whole thing is a bit vague leaving a lot to the imagination which is not what you want an employer to do. The template format is personal preference but the idea of duel column key skills is just mental, it makes it much harder to read than necessary and it's rarely you see anything ever laid out in such a way.

As for the formatting of the work experience, try to shorten it out a bit with short sharp examples of you doing things that are relivent along with a shrot description of what you were responsible.

I'd format it without the huge margin; no one wants to view a CV and immediately see a deceptively long work experience section because your only using half the page width.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. westernkings

Below is the nice simple template I work from when using a WORD CV. I use a heavily personalised one for PDFs that I do in InDesign.

Attached Files:

9. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

I appreciate the Adivce do you perhaps have a template or a example cv I could use?

Many Thanks

10. westernkings

See my post above yours.

11. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Many Thanks Western you have been a great help appreciate it :)