CV advice if you please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Markyboyt, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ahh, well perhaps download a trial and try it for a few weeks.

Troubleshooting Office (especially Outlook) is generally needed in a 1st line support job, again this is assuming that the messaging side of things is Exchange Server. This can include, setting up an Exchange profile, configuring an archive or fixing a corrupt profile.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I'll download a 60 day trial to have a play around on. I've never used the outlook that comes with office, I always use outlook express

WIP: A+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Outlook Express is rarely used in a corporate environment as it doesn’t support a full Exchange profile.

Some small companies do use it if they just need to use a POP3 account or something like that.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Alex R

Alex R New Member

Hi Mr boyt, I would suggest you use a standard CV template if you are applying online, so that it won't be corrupted later by recruiters etc. The template at iProfile (http://www.iprofile.org/) is standard for recruiters and employers and it is also freeeeeeee. Works really well 8)

5. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Edit: never mind..

WIP: MCDST
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Didn't we just have a discussion about the "usefulness" of this in this thread?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have had a go at prodding a few things for you. Turn on your track changes, and there are also a few 'comments'.

The basic issue is, you're not selling yourself very much, and that is starkly obvious with the length of your CV. Have you also got a covering letter that explains your self studying, dedication to the subject, and so on and so forth? Have you been sending a cover letter with the CV at all? If so, post that up too so we can have a butchers :)

The comments I have made are mainly my personal opinion, and as I do not professionally view CVs regularly, they may be a pile of utter shash. That being said, I'm going to waffle on anyway, whether you like it or not young man :)

You need to put more about your work experience. A lot of your 'experience' you have mentioned PC experience gained through nought more than a hobby, which may not mean a lot to most employers. As Ken has already said, see if there are any potential opportunities to volunteer in your area, to get some more companies down on your CV.

But remember, getting your first IT job isn't just about what you can do on your PCs at home, because most first IT jobs, they will be teaching you your trade.

You already have great familiarity with this - you've done an apprenticeship. Your first IT job shouldn't be treated as a million miles away from that. So what do you shout about in the absence of experience? Well you do have a lot of valuable experience, that you seem to have 'glossed over' in hurrying to what you can do to your mates' PCs. Here's what I assume you can do from the job you have, or at least skills you'll have experience with. As a potential employer, I wouldn't want to infer these details from a CV. Sing 'em out loud and proud :)

• Working to tight schedules with high workloads
    • Finishing work with care and precision
    • Logical approach to fault finding and fault resolution
    • Consulting existing documentation to speed up the fault-finding process
    • Studying alongside a full-time workload (therefore time management)
    • Learning new skills 'on the job' to allow me to do my work more effectively

Well... you get the idea. You're heading for a helpdesk job, so you want to emphasise your interpersonal skills, and definitely any customer service experience gained, whether that be client-facing or on the phone. Give the CV some maximuscle and see how you go.

But with your 'career history' at the end, it didn't give a good impression that you haven't put what you did at Safeways, and despite happily divulging GCSE results, you are hesitant to put down which BMW main dealer you work at... any particular reason why this would be bad on your CV (as personally, not being able to know made it look bad. I don't want to chase information down, I need it to be there, on the document, to be able to take the hiring process to the next stage).

Sorry for rambling. I'm not too often good at concise advice. Well, not on CF anyway :rolleyes:

EDIT: just saw the original date on this thread - sorry. Talk about belated advice :oops:

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Didnt want to quote the full size of the post due to size lol.

Thanks for your advice Arroryn and the amount of effort you seem to have put in is amazing :D

Its not all in vain or belated either because I actually have another thread from thursday night with my most up to date CV and a cover letter in along with a job description of a job I want to apply for.

The reason I dont put my current dealer information is because I dont want them contacted until the later stages of an application, they operate a scheme where if you indicate you might wish to leave they say you might aswell leave now, not ideal when you dont actually have another job and it can be such a long trail to get one i.e. as a career change. I didnt think information would be vital so I left it out. I do put on my cover letter that references can be provided on request but that id prefer my current employer not to be contacted until the later stages of my application.

Thank you also for the bullet pointed skills you list, there worded very well. Im not the most confident about my abilities at my current job and so sometimes end up feeling quite negative about it and difficult to draw out positives.
    One of my issues unfortunately is that every element of a job has a fixed time applied to it, like 20 mins to do an oil service which is a killer when it can take 5 mins to get the car in and 5 mins to get the parts out. Add to this 5 mins working out why the printer wont work, 5 mins showing somebody where something is for the 20th time, 5 mins back at parts getting the wrong parts changed for the right ones etc etc :twisted:

WIP: A+