CrossOver Cable Network Help!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zimbo, Sep 16, 2005.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im bored this weekend so i im deciding to play a little... i got a cross over cable and two pc's... one running server and the other xp pro... i want to link the two up...can someone help out or maybe send me somewhere in the right direction please?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Plug the cable between the two, Share a folder on one of them, and try to connect to it, either by browsing for it, or my going to

start > Run > \\servername\sharename.

This should get you started.

8)

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm not sure what your problem is. Set the IPs and subnet masks on both machines so that they are on the same network, connect them with the crossover cable and you're in business. If you install a second NIC in the server, you can use ICS (this all assumes you are using a broadband solution and not dial up) so that the workstation can get to the Internet, too.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

okay so lets say ill use 192.168.100.170 on the server and 192.168.100.188 on the client.. that should do the trick right? :oops:
    im going to give it a bash later just wanted to know what im doing... first time im indulging into something like this so the questions could be a little duh :oops: :oops: :oops:

@trip "Set the IPs and subnet masks on both machines so that they are on the same network" - little more info please mate :rolleyes:

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok, just so we are straight here, let's assume a class C network with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

That means your network address is:

Your broadcast address is:

So your range of usable IP address is:

From 192.168.100.1 to 192.168.100.254

So the addresses you suggest should work just fine for your wee LAN. :wink:

BTW, if you need an online subnet calculator, this one works pretty well:

http://www.subnetmask.info/

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

In order for computers to communicate in a LAN environment, generally speaking ofcourse, IP addresses must be on the same network
    the network is defined by the subnet

192.168.100.170 and 192.168.100.188 would generally be on the same network, provided the default subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 is used

this indicates that the portion 192.168.100 is the network portion, and the final octet is the host address

thus, 170 and 188 are both part of the 192.168.100 network

you could use a funky subnet mask to make it so 192.168.100.170 and 192.168.100.188 were indeed on different networks, and thus unable to communicate

for starters, forget about the IPs, plug the cable in
    and type ipconfig /all at a command prompt
    in the absence of a DHCP server windows should revert to an APIPA address

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

k right.. i enter all the ip adds in network connections right? default subnet mask... the ips i have mentioned.. default gateway is 192.168.100.254 okay?
    what about the DNS? :oops:

hmmm i really got to do that n+!!!

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sorry didn't see this before. Ok, it's easy. Here are the steps.

1. Open your Network Connections box. There are several different ways to do this but you can find the applet in the classic view of Control Panel. Double click to open.

2. The Network Connection dialog opens (see my first attached figure). Right-click Local Area Connection and click Properties in the menu.

3. The Local Area Connections box opens (see attached figure two). It opens to the General tab by default. Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) to select it and then click the Properties button.

4. The Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties box opens (see the third attached figure). Click the Use the following IP address and Use the following DNS server addresses radio buttons.

5. Type in the IP Address you want to assign the computer in the IP address field

6. Type the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask in the Subnet mask field Note: Ryan is right. You can use a customized subnet mask to modify the number of nodes on your network but let's keep it simple for now.

7. If you are using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), you'll have to type in the IP address of your server (assuming it will be the computer sharing the internet conneciton) in the Default Gateway field of the PC. Also, on the server, you'll need to type in the IP address of your broadband device (DSL or Cable) in the Default Gateway field on the server.

8. Assuming that you'll be using ICS, you'll need to type in the DNS addresses that your ISP wants you to use. One should be the IP address of the broadband device but the other will be at your ISP. You can open a command prompt on a computer connected to the internet and type ipconfig/all then press Enter to find out the IPs of the DNS devices that will let you hit the Internet.

I hope this helps some.

EDIT: I just noticed that the attachments are in reverse order. Just open then right to left. :oops:

Attached Files:

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Dont worry about DNS, you're not connecting these two to the internet are you? it's just a simple two node network right?

Server: IP = 192.168.100.1 (nice and simple) Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

Leave all other fields blank.

Workstation, do exactly the same, but give it an ip address of 192.168.100.2 (simple again).

These two should now be on the same subnet and be able to communicate.

8)

EDIT: Beaten by Trip! and he put more detail in!

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

What do you want? I write tech instructions for a living. :tongue

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If you're offering, a beer might be nice, after all it is the weekend!!! :p

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok. Here you go, mate. Straight from the American Northwest. :biggrin

[​IMG]

13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thank You!!! :D

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

nicely combined guys thanks... i knew where to enter setting just didnt know which... :( so basically just the ip addresses and the default subnet (255.255.255.0) and ill share a folder and see :biggrin ill keep you posted! thanks guys for helping out! PS trip mind sending me a couple of cold ones cause its still 33 degrees here!! :twisted:

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

If you enable ICS on the PC with the internet connection, then nothing else needs to be done on the second PC, other than set it to obtain an IP addy automatically. Windows will set the IP of the NIC on PC1 to 192.168.0.1 and PC2 to whatever it needs to be, with appropriate subnet mask and default gateway. No need for a second NIC at this stage - PC1 is effectively providing a basic DHCP service to PC2 (and any other PCs that might be on the same subnet).

However, where's the fun in that, eh ? Go on zimbo - get stuck in and play with some crazy IP ranges and subnets. Keep us up to speed with how you get on :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Geez, that's 91 degrees Fahrenheit (remember, I'm from the U.S.) :tongue. Ok, here you go. :biggrin

[​IMG]

I've got to learn to stop hijacking threads. :oops: :offtopic

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

:slidedrin :alc :afro :berrr :iluvcf :funfun

any ideas what im going to do 2nite?

18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Ah, certforums, the only place on the net that beer gets involved in almost every thread.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

That's what makes this place great! :biggrin

20. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

:beers2 :hahaha

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+