Crikey Bikey! New job has asked for proof or certs!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by drum_dude, Apr 2, 2010.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi all,

Since getting my certs NO employer has EVER asked for proof! Yesterday I got a call from the new employer, I start on Tuesday, requesting - amongst other things - that I bring in the A+, N+, MCP, MCSA and ITIL certificates on my first day! Oddly, I'm now starting to feel that it was worth it to work towards those certs as previous employers seemed to not give a sh1t! Of course it was worth it to gain the knowledge that has - to me - been invaluable during my career...but the opportunity to dust them off and hand them over fills me with a certain sense of pride! I'm going to print off that MS cert schedule thingy too!

Thought I'd share that with you...now where on earth did I put them??? LOL! :biggrin

Cheers!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, congrats on the new job. I think in the last 6 years, I've only been asked for my certs/quals from about 2 or 3 organisations out of approx 12 interviews...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the new job (more details maybe?) :D

When I was starting my current role I was asked to provide a proof of everything I had on my CV: eduation, certs, references, languages spoken, followed by technical chat related to skills and experience listed. So it does happen by the looks of it.

Best of luck in new job.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. drum_dude

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  5. drum_dude

proof of Certs...I meant 'of' not 'or'...damn!

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't need to provide physical certificate proof. What your employer needs is electronic verification directly from CompTIA and Microsoft, and if they don't know that it's available, you should let them know. After all, anyone can print off a bunch of certificates that look like the real thing. On the other hand, it's nigh difficult-to-impossible to forge an electronic verification that is viewed straight on Microsoft's or CompTIA's Web site. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

The only job I've ever had that required physical proof was Transcender, but that was back before Microsoft offered an online transcription that was publically viewable. Since I lived out of town at the time, I had to fax a copy of each of my certs to Transcender's office. Old school! Now, as Michael mentioned, it's pretty easy to show proof via Microsoft and CompTIA's online verification tools.

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats:) and best wishes. It's good to hear that certs do have their place when used along side hands on experience.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have had to prove my credentials in my current role as they linked by my Cisco, Citrix and Microsoft qualifications to there Company.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5