CPUs

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by noelg24, Jun 10, 2004.

?

AMD or Intel?

1. AMD

100.0%
  2. Intel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So I thought since I am a big big fan of AMD...I thought it was time to find out out of all us what brand of CPU we prefer. Do we like the Hyperthreading methods of the Pentium 4s? (not to mention the new Prescotts) or would we rather sink ourselves into the wonderful world of AMD and their range of Athlon XP and Althlon 64 CPUs? I know where my votes going.....this is what I think of Intel. :gun :twisted: please vote away my cherubs...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I like both. I use all Intel at work, the high end P4's really fly but at home I have both.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This Poll has been posted before here, still things change in 7 months so there might be different results this time.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I'm easy either way but I still usually buy AMD just because they are cheaper ( cheapskate that I am :) )

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

people there's nowt wrong with being a cheapskate...and the sole reason I went for AMD is cos the CPU I am using now Athlon XP 2500+ is the only CPU from AMD so far (yes I think the 64s do it too!) that can be overclocked to run at 3200+. I was very impressed with this and it only cost me about £35-40? I think thats right...maybe cheaper now...if you guys dont know check out www.ebuyer.co.uk its where I get all my PC parts now...and if u want more bang for your buck kids...theres no better place to go...in case ur asking its the Athlon XP 2500+ Barton core...what a baby.... 8)

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Wow! I'm the only one to have voted "Intel". Never owned a PC with an AMD processor. I suppose on a day-to-day basis, I wouldn't notice the difference. Of course, given flex's recent problems with laptop fans and keeping things cool, Intel CPUs tend not to have the same problem melting that AMD products do. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well mine hasnt melted so far, running at 2.2GHz with 5 fans (four out and one intake) including the CPU heatsink and fan...the temp is at a nice and cool refreshing 35-40 degrees C. what more can I ask for eh? :)

8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Gotta go with the flow here I'm an AMD person at home just keep em cool. At work they like to buy Intel, that's only because their suppliers use them.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Lots of money to pay the electricity bill[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

not really...my girlfriend pays for it mostly...damn if she reads this I am so dead... :roll: no we split the payments in the house...after its my PC so I guess I am paying for it...and it aint that much really...but with five fans in the case....talk about cooling system 8)

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I must say im with you trip, an Intel person
    wouldnt touch an AMD processor with a barge pole, apart from an opteron (read: not an athlon 64)
    I never overclock, and so nothing beats an intel processor for quality and longevity, im more than happy to spend 150 quid on a CPU, ill spend more than that on a damn graphics card so why not on a CPU!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Like Trip says, my intel probably saved my laptop from total meltdown.Apparently, if it had been an AMD, the laptop would have overheated.

Apart from that, I'm not really qualified to vote on this.I can't vote on experience, as I've only had two computers.One with a celeron and one with an intel processor.

I took forever deciding between AMD and intel before I bought my laptop last year.Intel won out in the end, and I think I made the right decision.To be honest I don't really understand the technical differences enough, and just plain haven't been using computers long enough to realise the significance of different CPU's.

But hey this isn't a life or death vote, so I'll go for Intel.Because I like them, and they saved my laptop from blowing up. :blowingup