Couple of Questions

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by djw, Mar 13, 2013.

1. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Hi,

Just had a couple of questions that I was after peoples thoughts on:

1) Has anyone ever managed to secure a new job just by making speculative enquires with companies, such as sending in your CV and basically saying here is my CV for if you have anything now or in the future?

2) Has anyone applied for a job and been turned down at some stage and then later heard back from the compnay asking if you were still interested in the position?

Thanks for reading/answering.

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Don't know how much help this will be, but...

1) Yes but it was a very long time ago and not IT.

2) I have not but know others that have had this happen.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
    djw likes this.
  3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

The second happened to my sister. This wasn't in IT though.

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

1) I personally never approached it way, but I know people who did and managed to get jobs. However its usually due to being at the right place at the right time. if the company is not hiring there is nothing you can do

2) Yes this has happened to me in the past and there is nothing wrong with that, sometimes the employer makes a mistake by employing someone else or maybe something changed down the line, you never know the whole story as to why this happened

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
    djw likes this.
  5. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Thanks for the responses. I had someone mention to me that I should try sending my CV into a few companies to see what happens, but yes, with that kind of thing timing is crucial.

I wonder, has anyone been so brash as to re-apply for a job that they have turned down in the past? I, for a couple of reasons, eventually turned down a job that I was offered a couple of years ago. I have recently seen the same job being advertised again and was wondering if I would have the guts to re-apply (the reasons for turning it down last time have gone now).

Thanks,

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  6. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

As long as you are happy the reasons were originally legitimate, then yeah sure, why not re-apply?

Just be honest about it and explain your decision to not take the job initially and emphasize how you really did want to take it but the circumstances just meant that you couldn't!

If you fit the role and they are sensible they will offer it again, if they are petty they may not but at the end of the day what will you have lost? You have plenty to gain if you are currently not in employment!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
    djw likes this.
  7. Kaden

Kaden New Member

In the current market situation when there is a downfall and unemployment its hard that a company ask his employee that you are still interested in doing that job.But if your services are cost effective than they surely ask you.And you also have to secure a new job because you don't know when you fired from you existing job.

djw likes this.
  8. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Other than that, there may also be a new person in charge of hiring for that department, who won't have come across you before.

djw likes this.