Could this be fatal?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Karen44, Oct 4, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, like I said, I just because I haven't run across it lately doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's perfectly logical that some mobo's would shut down the video card before powering themselves down, I just haven't seen it in a long time.

BTW, it's hardly an opinion when you see it regularly.... :twisted: It's a fact.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Can't fault common courtesy ! :biggrin lol

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well I have 2 monitors connected to my PC Karen and when I either switch off/restart it always displays that message on both screens...so really I dont think thats relevant at all...otherwise I am sure I would have the same problem...but looking at the posts u got so far...(arent u popular all of a sudden) I would say you are on your way to fixing the problem...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Nothing wrong with courtesy at all. It's sorely lacking in most places in our society. However, no need to call a fact an opinion on my account. I've been wrong before and will be wrong again, many times. In fact, it seems the only time I really learn is when I'm wrong.... Guess that's what I get for being a bull-headed Finn. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Karen, one thing that doesn't seem to have been picked up on yet in this thread. When you changed the system properties to not re-boot on errors, you then posted that Event Viewer looked fine i.e. no issues. Well that may be the case but when Windows crashes like this, you are usually faced with the dreaded BSOD (blue screen of death). This is a blue screen with white writing on it. You should carefully read this screen, it most probably won't mean a lot to you, as it is gobbledy gook to most people but usually somewhere near the bottom there should be a line that gives a clue as to what the system didn't like. As a made up example, it might say something like stop error ndis.sys interupt not less than equal. This info is very useful in starting to diagnose the issue.

Also, you should always fault find hardware problems (yes this does sound to me like a hardware/driver problem) by a process of ellimination. Once armed with your anti-static wrist strap, open the computer and make sure *all* cards and connectors are properly pushed in and seated. Then remove cards and unplug anything that is not necessary for the machine to boot. The only things needed to boot are the PSU (power supply), MOBO (motherboard) HDD ) hard drive and video card. So you can unplug sound cards, network cards, floppy drives CD/DVD drives, and even RAM (assuming you have more than just one stick). Do one thing at a time and fully soak test before moving on to the next, otherwise you won't know which one caused the problem.

It can take a lot of time and patience but that Karen is the nature of the game.

Have fun!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

If I may, Pete -

Definition of soak test below:

SOAK TEST

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well that is a great link Jak but in Karen's case, I just meant give it a thorough hammering, for example open as many applications as possible and use the computer rather than just letting it sit idle, so that the CPU etc is made to work. Do this over a reasonable time before moving on to the next thing.

Pete

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

No probs, Pete - just clarifying a term that maybe some newer Members may not have encountered before :)

9. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

Thanks for all the replies - I'll work through all the advise asap.

Another issue though that is most likely related - twice now I have gone into another room and when I returned, the monitor was off (poss in standby). I could hear an eeire voice and on turning up the speakers, could hear a system message "System failure - CPU _____" Not sure on the last word, sounds like tab/tap.

I've googled a bit and this messages seems to relate to the Motherboard.

Finally, there is a very faint noise coming from the computer, a very fast sort of clicking noise. It comes and goes.

My A+ book turned up this morning - best I get reading!! :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any further help.

Im off out to buy a new anti-static strap to start carrying out some of the suggestions on here :biggrin

Karen :blink

Certifications: None worth mentioning yet...
    WIP: A+, N+, MCSE
  10. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

may be a silly suggestion karen, but have you got a screw loose?

lol! what i mean is have you or somebody else been inside the casing cos i had a fiddle with mine a while ago and didn't tighten everything down fully, which led to vibration inside making a noise.

good luck with your studies by the way! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

The motherboard talks ???? :blink

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Your's doesn't??

Mine tells me "Power on self test completed. System now booting from operating system" every time I boot up.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Right Nugg - you're taking the p1ss here, right ? Mine goes "beep" .............<all is ok>........"beep". Then Windows loads, then the Windows noise.

If something goes wrong, all goes quiet, and my PC is a box of printed sand.

It does not speak to me, That is not right.I'm scared ....

14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

While I haven't heard one, I'm told that there are some motherboards that have wave files for info.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

So how does that work ? If we're talking system level here, then the motherboard would presumably not have a built-in media player ?

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

u aint alone in this Jak...I cant think how the mobo would talk when the OS hasnt loaded up fully...something clearly is wrong there...u sure u aint put anybody in there by accident? :eek:

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

It's 2001 ..... :eek:

18. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

you what Jak?!?!?

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I've never heard any voices coming from my motherboards, they have always kept silent except for the odd beep here and there. The machine is clearly possessed :eek:

20. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Ive seen this on quite a lot of computers.

Id imagine it works the same way as the beep. If the motherboard can make a beep using the motherboard speaker then it would be quite easy to just upgrade it to a voice.

Bascially its just a fancy beep. :)

Neall

WIP: A+