Copying user profiles from workgroup to domain

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Jakamoko, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey All :)

My latest foray now sees me finally installing Active Directory on my wee home network, and I was tonight wondering if it was possible to copy my current local profile across to the domain on the DC. Early googling came up with this link on tek-tips.com

Not tried it just yet, as I'm still in the early testing stages with the domain, and specifically the DC which is proving to be a temperamental b1tch !!

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has done this, or does it on a regular basis. Any further info would be gratefully received as always :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Never Tried it Gav, but I'd imaging that it shouldn't be that difficult.

Simply copying the Local Profile to the Path of where the Domain profile is going to be should work. Unless there is some strange thing that goes on that I don't know about.

I'm assumoing that you are going to run roaming profiles? Otherwise you could simply try renamin the local profle to that of the domain user account and keeping it local.

8)

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Personally I would just copy the files over from one profile to another, into the related folder. I have had things go pear shaped by overwriting the entire profile, remember that permissions are different in a domain environment and you could inadvertently mess them up.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I had to do this last week for a client running 6 PCs in a workgroup and I was installing a small business server and moving the PCs into the domain.

I used File and Transfer settings wizard (assuming you are running XP) which basically exports the whole profile to a file (start > all progs > accessories > system tools > file and transfer settings wizard). After that you can join the PC to the domain and then log on as the user and the new profile is created, import the file (which has the original workgroup profile) with the File and Transfer settings wizard and that’s the job done. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good point Sparky, I have used that myself. But if you are going to use the wizard, I would strongly suggest that you delete the temporary Internet files cache first. For some unknown reason, Microsoft seems to think they are important, and they take forever to backup and restore :eek: The process is not fast even after deleting the cache.

It amazes me sometimes, how long simple things actually take in the real world, I am forever waiting for something to finish copying or scanning :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thanks for the input, guys. I did a simple copy of local profile to the domain profile, and it works OK, although a little tweaking will be required to get the same look and feel as the local profile had. I'll look into File & Transfer Wizard, although I don't have that option on all machines, as the laptop is currently w2k (sorry for not mentioning this sooner), so this will be fine for the XP machines.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity