Copy Physical Machine to Virtual PC

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by hippy, Sep 24, 2007.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

How can i do this in Virtual PC? Work wont fork out for a vmware workstation licence for me :rolleyes::oops:

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Don't know if you can do it with VPC, but you could get VMWare Server which is free and then use VMWare Converter to convert it to a VMWare PC.

3. g.vangemerden

g.vangemerden Bit Poster

Use google to find P2V-tools (Physical to Virtual)...

Certifications: See signature..
    WIP: MCITP:DBA - MCITP:SA - MCIPT:EA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We've actually ghosted a Physical server into a virtual environment, so if you have ghost handy. One thing to remember, that you may have to do a windows repair if you're going to do this to a Windows Server. The server we ghosted was a linux one so it worked straight off, with a MS test server we had to repair it.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Interesting.....

What Virtual Platform did you apply it to?

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

With the linux server, we ghosted it to VMware workstation (this was done at work). With the Window server I ghosted it to VPC (this was in my test lab).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Just to add I was gobsmacked when we got that Linux server working in VM Ware. It used to be our DNS, Mail and Internet proxy server and the physical hardware was on it's last legs. After restoring the image of the server using ghostcast server and booting from a universal TCP/IP and Ghost disk that we made, it just kind of worked! :)

I was very much expecting the screen to dissolve into a Matrix like green shower, or just a prompt to appear :- I'm sorry, you can't do that Dave ... :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

I do this regularly, I use an app called Cbmr, google it you can get a thirty day trial, just image the physical machine and boot into your virtual machine using the boot disk from Cbmr, restore you image, push your scsi and nic driver, reboot and away you go.

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am about to do this at work. Hopefully everything goes smooth, as I dont have much time to full around with vm's unfortunately.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA