1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contract to Perm (within same company)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by disarm, May 26, 2008.

  1. disarm

    disarm Byte Poster

    I've been working for an IT company as a contractor, but the end client is holding things up and so we've had regular disruption to our hours and as a result, income. The work has been OK during the time we've actually been on site, and regular staff within the company are all easy to get on with, etc.

    Ideally I'd like to see the contract through, but that's not going to be financially viable if our days continue to be disrupted.

    I've noticed the IT company has internal vacancies and I'm tempted to apply, but I don't want to jeopardise my contract with them or rattle anyone's cage in doing so.

    I've subtlety mentioned it to someone that I've been working with (who works directly for the company) and he seems to suggest that I'll be OK to apply directly.

    What do you reckon - any thoughts?
  2. derkit

    derkit Gigabyte Poster

    Something we do within our company is when we are applying for any other positions (contractor to perm, or perm to perm) we speak to our immediate manager beforehand - not to ask permission, but to guage their reaction, level of support as well as they think you could do the job.

    If you're worried about rocking the boat, speak to your immediate line manager.
    Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. drum_dude

    drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

    If you're with an agency then you'll have to check the T&Cs of your contract as the agent may demend a percentage of your accepted annual salary as a commission from the employer - you do not pay it but it's what agents get paid for supplying permie staff.

    Either way check your T&Cs and ask your employer for advice.

    If you've gone direct then go for it...but make sure the permie position isn't too much of a salary drop!
    Certifications: MCSA , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS
    WIP: MCITP 2008 Ent Admin, Server Admin, Exchange 2010, Lync 2010, CCNA & VCP5
  4. disarm

    disarm Byte Poster

    I shall check the terms and conditions.

    I spoke to the main person in charge on Friday and told him my concerns, and he said that he'd understand it if obtained alternative employment elsewhere that was more consistent.

    The salary is OK as a daily rate but taken in to account we've only worked 2-day weeks and 4-day weeks so far (with a week off, great), I'm no better off from my last position.

    As far as the permanent position goes, I've heard the salary isn't great but at least it will be consistent, and I need a bit more financial stability even if it's just until the end of the contract.
  5. JohnBradbury

    JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

    I don't know what your contract terms are but if the delays are caused by the client then that's their fault and unless you're getting 'standby' money I'd be looking elsewhere.
  6. disarm

    disarm Byte Poster

    Indeed the delays are caused by the client, and no, we're not getting anything for sitting around waiting.

    I shall wait to see how it pans out (i.e. if it improves), but I'll look around for something else anyway.

Share This Page