1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configuring Inter VLAN routing and DHCP-Scopes help ...

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by keconnect sparky, Aug 3, 2011.

1. keconnect sparky

keconnect sparky Nibble Poster

Hey guys, hoping you can help get my head around this scenario .... im struggling.

Basically i want to setup DHCP for my different VLANs, i found various examples around the web but still fail to understand how the correct DHCP scope is selected for a DHCP request...

If you refer to the diagram on this link Network City: Configuring Inter VLAN routing and DHCP-Scope-VLAN Bindings

Im not sure how a DHCP broadcast from say from a client in VLAN 2 gets an offer from the configured DHCP pool from the router (200.1.1.2) i totally get the ip helper config and i can see the DHCP scopes setup, but how does the router know how to assign the correct IP from the correct subnet for that VLAN.

I found some explanations online that hint towards the the DHCP server (router) sees that the request is coming from the Vlan2 with the IP address 10.1.2.x/24 so it knows to give the client on that vlan an address from the 10.1.2.x/24 scope.

But i dont see how this information is passed onto the router, ..... as the client machine in vlan 2 has no ip/gateway information?? it just sends the broadcast to the layer2 switching network (tagging the frame with the VLAN ID) it gets passed to a trunk on the Catalyst 3550 (our layer 3 switch which will do the routing between the domains) so i presume (as i dont have a layer 3 switch kicking about) the packet is tagged somehow with the correct VLAN interface IP info and then this is forwarded to the router which then just magically selects a IP from the correct DHCP pool?? *sarcasm* lol

becuase we can name them pools anything.....

Please shed some light on this as it is driving me mad! thanks

Certifications: MCP, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-S
    WIP: CCNP (ROUTE)
  2. keconnect sparky

keconnect sparky Nibble Poster

right, done some more diggin about and i can see the clue is in the VLAN tag, the information on the cisco learning network cleared up here:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/151790#151790

Certifications: MCP, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-S
    WIP: CCNP (ROUTE)
  3. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Basically it knows which router interface (subnet) the request came through first so the DHCP server assigns it an address from that scope. That is a very basic explanation though!

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA