Computeach Distance Learning

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Dogu, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Dogu

Dogu New Member

Hello,

I received a mail shot a month ago from Computeach 'Open for a better paid career' normally I bin these straight away. Being some what disillusioned with my current work circumstances I opened and read on.

I have subsequently read the Computeach website, phoned for the info pack etc. Having done this I was still a little unsure until, on the front of my local papers jobsearch section an article - thanks to computeach I am now IT team leader at Norwich Union. A little more convinced I completed the career planner and aptitude test and phoned for a review interview etc.

The upshot is I have been accepted A+ followed by MSCE (had to convince them I could find 8 to 10 hours a week). Now, Friday I have the rep visiting me to complete the enrolment and hand over the coffers. Having searched the internet for Computeach reviews I am now getting cold feet about learning with Computeach.

I would dearly like some advice as to whether Computeach are sound learning medium or not? If not how did they win IT training award?

If not Computeach then who?

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in anticipation all advice gratefully received - thanks.

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Please do not cross post the same topic in multiple forums, you have already started the same thread here. Please make yourself aware of the Rules and Guidelines for posting within the forums (HERE)

I'll leave this thread open as a welcome thread for others to welcome you to the forum.

Welcome to CertForums. :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Dogu

Dogu New Member

Off to a bad start - sorry!!!!

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Dogu and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

No worries, pull up a keyboard and tell us a little about yourself. :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. Dogu

Dogu New Member

Thanks for your patience and welcome.

I'm currently a drawing office manager (AutoCad), disillusioned with my lot so to speak. Having looked around the industry for a while with little success I felt my engineering qualifications are perhaps a little dated and it is time to take stock and address the situation.

Approaching 40 years old, having worked with computers for the past fifteen years and have basic understanding etc. I think maybe IT would be an apt career direction change, hence the Computeach and distance learning scenario. I guess I am really looking for reassurance that the Computeach method work, are achievable and/or if not suggestions as to which company could/would supply suitable distance learning.

Computeach have recommended the A+ leading into MSCE.

Thanks.

7. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to Certforums Dogu. You say you have 15 years experience working with computers, where does that experience lie? What I'm getting at, does that experience include implementing and maintaining networks of Servers and PC's? because that is what you are letting yourself in for, find out now whether you are going to enjoy that sort of studying and work before shelling out the cash. The subject matter gets pretty boring when you are interested in it, if you find out it's not really for you the study guides will work better than sleeping tablets. If you already have an idea what it's all about then sorry for going on, I'm just trying to make sure you know what you are commiting yourself to.

Phil

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  8. Dogu

Dogu New Member

Thanks for the welcome.

I guess that is a little ambiguous. I should really of said working on computers or driving one so to speak, being responsible for PC upgrades and configurations of dedicated Cad software.

I have to say my computer knowledge is basic that is to say I know a sound card from a modem and I can find my way around windows etc. Configuring networks, registry edit etc. this would be new.

I think you are saying to me, is this what you really what you want to do, its not cheap and you really need to look before you leap and signing up Friday might be a little hasty.

9. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Bingo! couldn't have said it better myself :)

10. Dogu

Dogu New Member

Phil,

That's why I signed up to this forum, to be told what I already know and come across as a muppet in the process:D

I will phone my Computeach appointed rep this evening and postpone signing up until I've:
    a) decided where my future lies.
    b) if IT is for me are Computeach the medium by which I enter the industry.

The appeal for distance learning allows me to continue earning, study in my own time (although I appreciate this needs commitment). It would also pay me to contact the guy at Norwich Union and gauge his opinion.

Thanks.

11. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

:D Sounds like a sensible approach. As for whether Computeach is the medium for you, I'm afraid I couldn't say having never dealt with them before. If you haven't done already do a search on the forum there are people who have expressed various opinions before.

An alternate approach could be to buy a study guide for the workstation exam, 70-210 for W2k Pro and i think it's 70-270 for XP, have a go at that on your own to see how you get on. That would give you a taster for what you would be letting yourself in for, the later exams get a lot more intense. From there you could decide whether to go with a distance learning provider and have taken the time to check out the different providers.

12. Dogu

Dogu New Member

Thanks - I appreciate your advice.

13. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

No probs :)

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Dogu - a belated welcome from me to (another "approaching-40", well, closer than I'd like to be anyway).

Glad you did your research first before signing. I guess by now you'll have read around our Boards a bit - there are a lot of opinions on various training providers, and while the staff here are not at liberty to either promote or decry and training company, I think after reading a few of those comments, you'll be better informed.

As regards the actual cert path, A+ and Network+ are pretty much agreed as the best start towards MCSE. As the others have said, this can and does get very boring at times, but if you enjoy it then that's half the battle.

I'd agree with what Phil said(ish) - commit to nothing just now (after all, it is a lot of cash. Buy some training books, even just one. If poss, start messing around with the guts of an old(ish) PC. Read some industry mags. If, after all that, you find you have the bug, then I'd say IT is for you, and then proceed accordingly.

All, of course, IMHO :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  15. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Dogu and let me just add my welcome to the good ship CF.

As to your studies, I wish I had had so much good advice before I had parted with my hard earnt. I can only agree with the advice given in the previous posts, it is good and totally unbiased (and I'm another reahing 40, well next year anyway). :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Welcome, Dogu. Seems like you're already getting the benefit of the CertForums knowledge bank. Glad you're with us.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. Dogu

Dogu New Member

Thanks also for the warm welcome. The advice I have received has allowed me to take off my rose colored glasses through which I was seeing things.

I contacted my Computeach rep last night and said could I delay my enrolment for the following reasons:
    a) They initially questioned whether I could find 8-10 a week for study, I said to the rep I would like to see how I feel at the time of day when I plan to study - 8.30pm onwards evenings and Sunday Mornings.
    b) Computeach boast a low drop-out rate due to there careful screening of potential students etc. - I tried to emphasis the fact that I wanted to be positive I could both, find the time and commitment to study and not to fall into the drop-out category.

I have to say she was very understanding and thought it made sense. This I find a little contradictory to some of the threads posted elsewhere which mention rep pressure to enrol etc. mind you she has been my only point of contact to date. I cannot find fault with the way I have been treated so far, but having said that a lot of the criticism I have read is for poor e-mail support.

There seems plenty of criticism of Computeach of which to date I have not personally experienced - limited dealings obviously.

Having read the various threads I feel a little wary of putting all my eggs into the Computeach basket and am now contacting other distance learning companies for info packs.

Once again (sorry to woffle on) thanks for the advice not only distance learning but career advice - sound.

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

GLad we could be of assistance Dogu - that is exactly why we're here, from before you start your Certs, hopefully thru to the dream IT job :thumbleft

Good luck, however you proceed. :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  19. GRENDAL

GRENDAL New Member

Hi all,

I have just passed my A+ exams at computeach and am now pulling my hair out over the Win2K mocks. Just discovered these forums so maybe at least some solidariity will be helpful haha!

Good Luck to anyone else on these courses!

20. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Grendal good to see you. Why not start another thread on this board and tell us a bit more about yourself? :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong