Commsupport Free CCNA Blog

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ITworkxperience, Aug 28, 2010.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What's your point? Doesn't make it legal to do so.

Dude, I'd *love* to be able to use GNS3 legally... then we wouldn't have to create an IOS simulator so we could focus on producing lab content. :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

You guys are killing an intresting thread.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. ITworkxperience

ITworkxperience Bit Poster

Hi Guys,
    Please can we take this discussion about the legality or not of using GNS3 onto another thread(which I am happy to post).
    The sole intention of this blog was just to give members a feel of Commsupport's generous gesture to host an 8 week on-line CCNA(next session starts in half an hour) for FREE!!
    All of your contributions are highly regarded and respected although I must say I am a bit thrown by the tenacious responses by BM.:oops:
    Anyway looking forward to tuning into Commsupport tonight and off to make a cuppa!!!
    PS: Look for the thread GNS3 to be or not to be!!!!
    :lolbang

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNA/CCNP
  4. BosonMichael

There's already another thread that discusses it; feel free to post there.

My point is, because using Cisco's IOS on GNS3 is an illegal activity, the use of GNS shouldn't be brought up in other threads on this forum... including this one. Piracy's not condoned... copyright infringement's not condoned... braindumping's not condoned. Why should this be?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

My point is exactly as I said - it's interesting CBT Nuggets use GNS3 and that I received the email today, nothing more than that. Why so defensive?

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  6. Ubergeek

Ubergeek Bit Poster

Many thanks to Joe for tonights Spanning Tree websession. Looking forward to Mondays one.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSE 2K3
    WIP: VCP, MCSE 2K3 (Security)
  7. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Cheers Joe, much appreciated..

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  8. BosonMichael

Not defensive at all. I just don't know what your point is by bringing up CBTNuggets. It seems as if you are saying, "Well, CBTNuggets uses it... so what's the big deal?"

9. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Man, you seem to be going out of your way for an argument in this thread.

Please don't put words in my mouth, at no point did I say "what's the big deal?" - as I said it's interesting that CBT Nuggets are very open about using GNS3.

My last post on this subject as frankly it's boring now.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  10. BosonMichael

I didn't put words in your mouth: note the "seems as if" portion of my post. :rolleyes:

11. ITworkxperience

Thursday’s session (16th September) focussed on Spanning Tree protocol. Brilliant session, 100% brilliant. Once again another great class by Joe. We spent 2 hours going through the basics of spanning tree, from the beginning he started off with some simple examples of why spanning tree requires a root bridge and how this role is decided between all the switches in the network. This was followed by path selection based on port costs. What happens if you have two links between two switches, which one is chosen based on cost, port priority and then port number? Joe demonstrated how to change the various priorities on the port and vlans to configure the protocol.
    The next session on Monday is on spanning tree again which will go into more detail with engineering and configuring spanning tree in more depth.
    Bring it on Joe!!!:respct

12. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Cheers chaps,

Tomorrow night we are going to cover more spanners, with RSTP, tuning spanning, portfast, bpdufilter, bpduguard, loopguard, root guard. Be there or be max(x2,y2) = 1

You know you love it baby!!!

Now where's that bottle opener......

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  13. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

[​IMG]

..ready! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  14. cisco lab rat

Yeeeeeeeah, that's what's it's all about Mr. 786.

Father Ted is on now on BBC3

15. ITworkxperience

Another inspiring session on Monday (20th September) night by Joe. We hit the ground running with a review of the basics of Spanning Tree Protocol (STP), easing our weekend weary heads back into the frame. He talked about Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (rstp) and the differences between normal STP and rstp. To do this he showed us the difference in convergence times by pulling links out while a ping was in progress, great visual of the how not using the right protocol can cause huge convergence delays.!!

Then Joe went on to demonstrate what I thought for was the best part of the lecture where he got a router I think it was onto a switch port and set a ping running, he then pulled a trunk link out between his two switches and the pings failed on the router even though rstp was enabled on the switches. This proved that even if rstp is enabled on a port, rstp will still converge on that port unless portfast is enabled on that port, that’s one for the note book for sure!!

Joe then demonstrated bpduguard, root guard, bpdufilter which caused a broadcast storm; he showed us the interface counters, since we could not see the lights on the switches, loopguard, and port –security using mac address lockdown.

Joe’s unique style in teaching ensures that you enjoy his lectures. The thing that I enjoyed the most about this particular session is that Joe does not just teach you how to use the commands but when, where and the circumstances in which you would use them. It was another great session even without the bevy Joe keep em flowing!!!:alc:beers2

16. ITworkxperience

Been involved in domestics since last week .It was both my Mrs and son’s birthdays (Librans) so I have had to multi task to the max!:cry::bdaysmile Anyway, Thursday (23rd September) night’s session covered basic binary, IP addressing, and the famous chickens made an appearance. Cluck cluck... I am always amazed how good those chickens are at explaining subnetting.Unorthodox maybe, but effective!! When I think I have forgotten IP Subnetting I think of the chickens and it all comes flooding back. Judging by the questions and answers Joe was setting and getting it looked like it worked for the guys too. Once again, a big thanks to Joe and Commsupport for these sessions, nice to see people and companies going out of there way to help others. (FREE of charge)

Sorry for the short post on the session but I am still recovering from both a tiring week and last night’s intensive subnetting session. I will post an update shortly. Watch this space

17. ITworkxperience

Thursday night’s (30th September) session focussed on how routers forward packets. Joe held another great session, it was brill not just because of the info but he made the whole experience light hearted and fun, he involves as many people as possible, by name getting them to answer questions, not to be afraid to give it a go.

Joe described the process of routing like making your way from your home to the pub by having to cross many roundabouts. (Have you noticed the drink theme in this blog?):alc How do we know which direction to go when we hit these roundabouts? What he made us understand is that routers need the same sort of information that we humans need to make path selections, we need signs showing us the way, (Not religious signs  ) signs showing us if one path is possibly better than another. What if two signs are the same pointing to the same identical destination, what does a router do next? What would you do if you saw two identical signs pointing to the same destination? What path selection would you make? Which sign would you trust? What if the signs looked exactly the same and you trusted both signs equally then what would you do? This is when you would choose the sign displaying the shortest metric. What if the metrics are Identical, then what????, load balance! Joe gets you to learn and absorb the information, he sort of sneaks up on you and bam, the concepts are all there, and all you need to do is apply them.

He showed us RIP, and how that worked too, I look forward to Monday, I only hope that Joe does some more of these sessions after this one, anyone that knows him, knows he works 24/7 so credit to him for doing this for free, I think he should get that medal he asked for on the last session for services to I.T.:rocks

18. cisco lab rat

It's getting cold in the shed, I need the booze to keep me warm.

19. ITworkxperience

Great session on OSPF last night Thursday 7th October). Joe went through the OSPF protocol step by step; it was amazing to see how it all works so logically. Joe used very simple examples of how two OSPF devices become neighbours then move onto becoming adjacent neighbours when they exchange full updates.

The contents of the hello packet were explained in full, we went through exactly what the packets contain what elements need to be in the packet for the routers to become neighbours, what happens when the elements don’t match.

Joe took us through the 7 steps that OSPF goes through to establish the neighbours, the down, init, 2 way, exstart, exchange, loading and full, (I had to look at my notes for that)

That part was followed up by an explanation of DR and BDR and how the election is held and why. He then went on to provide live examples of how to configure the protocol on the routers, all very smooth and simple. To finish off the session Joe went through explaining the Areas and router types.

Once again a great session and he mentioned pubs only once. (I needed one after that).Duracell Joe!!!:clap:super
    Nice gesture on the basement bargain videos Joe!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010