CIW Have I paid over the odds?

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by tobo, Nov 7, 2008.

1. tobo

tobo Bit Poster

Hi All

I have just registered on these forums and been doing a bit of reading on all the other topics. Just noticing that alot of people seem to be doing the same course as me (CIW Web Managers) but are "self Studying" which I think means you are literally just working from the text book and doing the CIW exams. I have managed to get my work to pay for my course fees with the understanding that I dont leave the company for a couple of years and that they will benifit from the knowledge I hope to gain and I will maintain our website as well as my current role. I don't think I'm doing the course self study but the only differenc seems to be that I have use of the SKills train Student area and all that that includes etc etc.
    But i'm just concerned that in my eagerness to get the ball rolling with a course that I have ended up paying over the odds for this course??? my work have paid I know but we're not a big company and it's a fair whack they have paid.

I plan on suplimenting what I'm getting from the course with my own supply of Learn Flash html CSS video tutorials and always wanted to do somthing structured anyway to fill in gaps in my current knowledge. its all paid for now so cant change it and i think its tax deductable for them anyway.

Many thanks

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If your company are paying then I wouldn't worry about it. But they probably are paying more than what it would cost you to practice and study by yourself.

To help you with furthering your experience and hopefully bring out more employment opportunities you could make your own portfolio that includes work you have done and projects you are working on. This could help with future employment.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Carty

Carty Bit Poster

I signed up with Scheidegger/Skills train for the same course. Handed over around £3,000. After all the garbage they told me and the "guarantee" they would find me a job at the end i was very optimistic. Found this site a while ago and found out i was very nieve and stupid i think. Just about to book the exams and by the looks they are not even included in the initial fee i paid.

Gutted lol. But if your company are paying then i defiantly wouldn't worry.

4. thecatsmother

thecatsmother Byte Poster

I think the deal with the exams is that you pay upfront and get refunded by SkillsTrain each time you pass one. I shall find out soon, anyway.

WIP: CIW Website Design Manager
  5. tobo

tobo Bit Poster

You have to pay for the exams??? how does that work then??

I/my company probably did pay over the odds but like I said on other posts I needed somthing structured and this was the only thing out there that I could find. its done now might as well get on with it and draw what knowledge I need from it.

still not sure what extras I'm getting by not going down the self study route and paying more? appart from the live trainning sessions??

6. thecatsmother

thecatsmother Byte Poster

Skillstrain isn't as expensive as some, tobo. The extra you're getting is tutor support by phone or email if required, and marked assessments as you go through the material. I have only once asked a tutor a question in the 18 months I've been studying with them, and it was more confirmation I was looking for than an actual question. They also are meant to provide some sort of job seeking help when you finish, but that's not appropriate for me anyway as it was always my intention to be self-employed and I've already launched my business. Like you, it was the structured element I was looking for over self-study. I do think the courses are overpriced, specially compared to the price the US candidates get the official self-study materials for. It's a bit more expensive in the UK though.

As far as I can tell, you pay for your exam when booking and then Skillstrain refund when you pass. I suppose this ensures you are really ready as you would be risking your own money otherwise. They only pay for one successful exam.

WIP: CIW Website Design Manager
  7. mikey3266

mikey3266 Bit Poster

@Catsmother. Have you finished the course yet and do you think, with certs and portfolio skillstrain grads are employable?. I've heard so many conflicting things on here in relation to the course. It can be disheartening. I'm really interested on your thoughts as you've been there and done it. Good luck with your business also ;-)

Certifications: CIW Associate, CIW Javascript
    WIP: CIW Website design manager