1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Certs to get lvl 1 IT jobs?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Gunner81, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Gunner81

Gunner81 Bit Poster

Maybe its too soon to say, but I seem to have realized. For a level 1 IT service desk role certifications are not really required. They probably are good for getting interviews and a person does gain a lot of knowledge. But for the actual role are they really required.

I know it might depend on the kind of role but a person can really pick up on AD, troubleshooting network issues or microsoft office products and remote desktop or assistance on the jobs itself. Do others think the same? I have been in the role for only 2 months thats the reason I was saying, maybe its too soon to say...

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: Network+, MCITP
  2. SimonD

SimonD Terabyte Poster Moderator

As I always say, certification is generally there to prove your ability, not as a way to get your first job. Well done for realising that :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    WIP: VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCD and Linux + (and possibly VCIX-NV).
  3. dmarsh

dmarsh Terabyte Poster

Doing the training, labs and studying is generally a good thing, actual certification (taking the test) doesn't add that much on top, there are lots of ways to prove competency that many employers prefer to certification :-

1. Interviews
    2. Evaluation / Trail Period
    3. Pre-Interview Tests
    4. References
    5. Portfolios / Blog's / Demo's
    6. Academic qualifications
    etc

So yes its more than possible to train and be competent without certification and most people have been doing this for decades.

Certifications: CITP, BSc, HND, SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCEA, N+, Sec+, Proj+, Server+, Linux+, MCTS, MCPD, MCSA, MCITP, CCDH
  4. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Certs look good to HR folk who know little about IT.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP