Certs to get lvl 1 IT jobs?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Gunner81, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Gunner81

Gunner81 Bit Poster

Maybe its too soon to say, but I seem to have realized. For a level 1 IT service desk role certifications are not really required. They probably are good for getting interviews and a person does gain a lot of knowledge. But for the actual role are they really required.

I know it might depend on the kind of role but a person can really pick up on AD, troubleshooting network issues or microsoft office products and remote desktop or assistance on the jobs itself. Do others think the same? I have been in the role for only 2 months thats the reason I was saying, maybe its too soon to say...

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: Network+, MCITP
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

As I always say, certification is generally there to prove your ability, not as a way to get your first job. Well done for realising that :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Doing the training, labs and studying is generally a good thing, actual certification (taking the test) doesn't add that much on top, there are lots of ways to prove competency that many employers prefer to certification :-

1. Interviews
    2. Evaluation / Trail Period
    3. Pre-Interview Tests
    4. References
    5. Portfolios / Blog's / Demo's
    6. Academic qualifications
    etc

So yes its more than possible to train and be competent without certification and most people have been doing this for decades.

4. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Certs look good to HR folk who know little about IT.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP