Certificate in programming field.

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by vivek_master146, Dec 7, 2008.

1. vivek_master146

vivek_master146 Bit Poster

Which is the best Certificate for Beginner Level in Programming field except SCJP?

I think that Microsoft's MCTS,MCSD are quite tough. I am interested in Application programming.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You don't need to double post as we all see all parts of the forum.

How about the SCJA? ...an ideal entry into an application development or a software project management career using Java technologies. The SCJP is not an entry level cert, it is really for people already programming.

Apart from that, most of the other programming quals are academic based (unless you're in the job already then there are language specific professional courses like the MCITP's).

Depending on what country your in; have you looked at qualifications like the HNC Computing (Higher education), Diploma in dotNet (.Net) programming (further education).

Apart from that depending on the company that you'll/you work for you may or may not "just" be the programmer. Some smaller companies that person or software engineer would multi-role, do the analysis & design, programmer and test the product before the product is signed off. With that in mind, have you thought about foundation certs like Software testing & Systems Development?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. vivek_master146

I think SCJA is very basic. I can go for SCJP but i m interested in .NET. I know C,C++ basics very well.

Is the computer science degree enough?

4. vivek_master146

How is this course:-

Windows and Web Application Development Using the .NET Framework

This program builds skills to develop console-based and windows-based applications using VC#.NET. The program discusses the implementation of Object-oriented concepts using C# language. In addition, it introduces implementation of various programming concepts, such as threads, file handling, delegates, attributes, and reflection using C# language.

Equipped with this strong foundation on OOPS and Databases, the learners then gets exposed to Windows-based GUI Application development using Rapid Application Development (RAD), on the .NET framework.

The program also provides an insight into the concepts related to XML schemas, Extensible Style Sheet Language Transformations (XSLT), and XPath. Further, using the programming and database skills learned/known, learners develop skills on database connectivity technologies such as ADO.NET to create data centric applications on .NET platform.

Furthermore, it also provides an understanding to develop and deploy Web applications using ASP.NET 2.0. This program covers adding and configuring server controls, master pages, themes, and Web parts. The program also covers data-access and security in Web applications

Program Contents: The content aims to:
    This program consists of the following modules:

Module 1: Object Oriented Programming Using C#
    Module 2: GUI Applications Development Using .NET Framework
    Module 3: Developing Database Applications Using ADO.NET and XML
    Module 4: Developing Web applications Using ASP.NET 2.0

Duration – 162 hours

Eligibility – 1) Basic knowledge about the various parts of the computer and should know the basic difference between hardware and software.

2) Ability to build flowcharts/ write pseudocodes. The student should be able to represent logic, sequence tasks for execution, and implement conditional operations and iteration.

3) Write SQL statements

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

A computer science degree should be enough to land a role as a junior programmer, once you have some experience you can then look at more advanced certs.

Kens advice is correct, the SCJA cert is an entry level cert. If you are proficient in Java you can skip it and do the SCJP.

Course sounds ok, if you're already acomplished at programming in C++ a transition to C# should not be difficult and self study should be possible.

The main problem is the new .Net cert tracks are fairly tough and will be much easier for someone whos coding .Net all day professionally.

I'd try and get a junior programming role and hopefully some commercial .Net exposure.

Best of luck ! :D

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Dunno where you are, but have a look at the Open University.
    Excellent for getting started.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

As said a computer science degree should be enough. But it is important to remember that because someone has a computer science degree doesn't mean that they have programming skill - it just means that they understood the theory of computer science well enough to get the degree. I do know some comp sci and computing graduates who cannot code their way out of a paper bag.

When you actually enter the world of professional programming you will find that a lot of what you have learned on your comp sci course will go out the window, at least from the formal software engineering aspect. Unfortunatey, knowing the 'basics' of C/C++ doesn't bode that well for you. In programming the skill involved in developing applications actually comes from understanding a language, but also being able to understand the problems domain and be able to break it down enough to formulate a solution. By you saying that you 'understand the basics' tells me that you haven't actually tried applying that knowledge to solve real problems.

Programming certs mean little to me in terms of indicating level of skill, try the more formal education routes to properly structure you education.

Good luck! :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  8. vivek_master146

How is this course:-

This program builds skills to design, implement, and administer SQL 2005 databases. It also builds skills to develop console-based and windows-based applications using VC#.NET. The program discusses the implementation of Object-oriented concepts using C# language. In addition, it introduces implementation of various programming concepts, such as threads, file handling, delegates, attributes, and reflection using C# language.

The program discusses the process of designing and implementing databases. It also explains how to manage a database server. In addition, it focuses on enabling the students to effectively design, implement, and administer a database.

Equipped with this strong foundation on OOPS and Databases, the learners then gets exposed to Windows-based GUI Application development using Rapid Application Development (RAD), on the .NET framework.

The program also provides an insight into the concepts related to XML schemas, Extensible Style Sheet Language Transformations (XSLT), and XPath. Further, using the programming and database skills learned/known, learners develop skills on database connectivity technologies such as ADO.NET to create data centric applications on .NET platform.

Program Contents: The content aims to:
    This program consists of the following modules:

Module 1: Object Oriented Programming Using C#
    Module 2: Designing, Implementing, and Administering Databases Using SQL Server 2005
    Module 3: GUI Applications Development Using .NET Framework
    Module 4: Developing Database Applications Using ADO.NET and XML

Duration – 162 hours

Eligibility – 1) Basic knowledge about the various parts of the computer and should know the basic difference between hardware and software.

2)Ability to build flowcharts/write pseudocodes. The student shouZ4ld be able to represent logic, sequence tasks for execution, and implement conditional operations and iteration

9. vivek_master146

This course is provided by NIIT- ASIA'S NO 1. Trainer. They say that after going through this course i will be able to appear for MCTS. How???????? :ohmy

I have seen Microsoft .NET Framework - Application Development Foundation EXAM syllabus. Its hell lot of syllabus:-

Embedding configuration, diagnostic, management, and installation features into a .NET Framework application (14 percent)

Implementing serialization and input/output functionality in a .NET Framework application (18 percent)

Improving the security of .NET Framework applications by using the .NET Framework security features (20 percent)

Implementing interoperability, reflection, and mailing functionality in a .NET Framework application (11 percent)

Implementing globalization, drawing, and text manipulation functionality in a .NET Framework application (11 percent)

10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The MCAD track while not entry level used to be be a lot easier and more appropriate for someone without much experience.

In my mind the MCPD and MCTS certs are generally not appropriate for beginners or training providers looking to make money out of teaching beginners.

The new MCPD track including the MCTS pre-requisites are definitely not entry level, you really should have many years of OO programming experience and 1-2 years .Net experience before you begin them.

Why not start to self study .Net without certification in mind and start applying for jobs ?

11. vivek_master146

Which is an entry-level certification of Microsoft .net? MCAD or MCTS ?

Have you seen the syllabus i posted? Isn't it enough for any Microsoft exam?

12. vivek_master146

First I am going to give 70-536 exam. I know VB which i learnt through self-study. I know C and learning C++ Currently. Is the syllabus i posted above is enough to give 536 and 526 exam?