central heating turning off internet!

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by MrNerdy, Nov 8, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

do you know if anyone in your street is with them?

could be a pipe issue perhaps.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Dont know?
    When i move ISP's (And i'm going to now!) what do i need to do?

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you need to get the mac code of your current ISP, when you have that go to whoever you are choosing and give them your mac code. That lets the take over your connection from your old ISP.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

However - if the problem is being caused by your phone cable, either BT's or in your house, then moving to another ISP may not make things better.

You may get better tech support, of course.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I think it's a problem with Virgin Media who we pay £17.99 a month too, With Sky it would be £5 a month!
    I have never heard of central heating being a cause of interference & get the feeling i'm being fobbed of by VM!
    Since the upgrade it's been so slow, 3 calls, 3 different answers to the problem!!

Am considoring going cable if it's quicker or even fibre optic for really quick BB.

6. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I obviously can't say if it is the case here but VM are fantastic at fobbing you off. I had to deal with them when I was still living with my parents (and still have to from time to time) and some of the excuses they gave were a laugh.

Amongst the gems were : "I don't think our service will work with AMD computers"
    "If your TV service is working then there is nothing wrong with the broadband"
    "BT Might have done something"

Needless to say I am not with them! I am with sky and am very pleased. If you plan on using the connection for gaming though you have to get them to change the max delay settings at their end to get reasonable pings (very easy)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - cable would be VM again! Is that what you want? <grin>

And places that have fibre are *very* rare - you would have to move to Ebbsfleet or Bournmouth I believe.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Sorting it all out today one way or another!

9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

The agent who told you about electrical devices interfering is correct. Its known as R.E.I.N (Random Electrical Impulse Noise). This is definately an issue as i have dealt with cases at work caused by this. I have even had it where a neighbours electrical equipment was interfering and they had to get the electric board out to change the phase.

Openreach engineers can test for this issue by using a HAWK tester, they also tend to co-op with the REIN team who are based in leeds, the hardest part is actually getting anyone to test for this as all other avenues have to be exhausted before they will get involved. You need to eliminate all other possible causes such as internal wiring, exchange issues, and cabling issues upto the premises by changing the e and d sides before REIN team will get involved.

There are also plenty other causes that could cause dropping speeds such as high resistance leg faults etc, but if there is a pattern to the drops then it is normally REIN.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house