CD/DVD RW writing

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cockles, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Happy Shrove Tuesday to you all, merry pancakes

Simple question (to which I do not know the answer). Is there any simple software you know of (of course, that will actually work) so my DVD writers can write to DVD and CD RW rather than burning to them? I recently bought the two drives which came with a pretty naff Nero 7, which to all intents and purposes works, but doesn't recognise RWs and tries to burn rather than write. Windows CD burning Wizard is also the same

I want to back up my music collection, but don't want to burn a fresh DVD evertime I add to it, I'd rather just add to an RW

I looked into UDF packet writing sofware but that claims you have to uninstall every other writing software you have, which is a bit of a pain (and I used to have a lot of compatability problems with InCD and that)

Any suggestions much appreciated

Thanking you

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - and I always thought writing and 'burning' was the same thing.

There are a number of things in your question that suggest you may be confused about some of the standards for CDs and DVDs!

First - if you *don't* close a CD-R then you can write more to it - you don't need a RW for that. The point of RW is that the disk can be *erased* - something you can't do to a CD-R.

UDF was designed to allow writing to a CD without involving 'sessions', so that it looked like writing to a hard disk. The problems with this are several, one being the incompatability between formats you mention, another being the space overhead - a 750MB disk becomes about 500MB under UDF.

Finaly - you don't say whether you want to be able to play an unclosed disk - many 'hifi' type players won't play them, only computers usualy will. However - if this is just a backup this won't matter.

Note that you need to be careful with filenames when adding sessions to an unclosed disk. Adding a file with the same name as one already there will *appear* to overwrite the previous file.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

It should work in nero if you uncheck the finalise box, that will allow you to add to the disc

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Aha, becoming clearer gents

Harry, you're right, what I meant was purely for backup purposes, so when I add to my music or digital photos, I can just add them to a disc rather than burning a brand new one.

I haven't touched RW for years, we started using it when it came about at uni roughly in 2001 and it was very basic then.

I was always under the impression that 'writing' to a disc was like with RW, in the sense that it can be written and re-written, and 'burning' was a permanent fixture on a disc. To be honest, my media lectureers were a bit duff

Raff, so if I use Nero, uncheck the finalise, I can pop the same disc back in and add to the data already on it, is that correct?

Thanks very much by the way gents.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Yep that should do the trick. Also, use the nero burning rom option, and setup a multisession disc. Once you have burned the disc you will get the option to save the multisession, if you dont save it, it doesnt matter coz next time you start you just select to continue the multisession and carry on from there. HTH

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house