CCNA Study material

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by MonkeyWrench, Jul 24, 2006.

1. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Nibble Poster

I've decided that now I have a couple of MCPs under my belt I want go for a different qualification to help spice up my CV. I've just started a new job and there's quite a lot of networking administration involved, some of which is completely new too me, so I figured it's the perfect opportunity to go for the CCNA.

Having had great success with nuggets I will definitely be going for those again, but on the literature front what books can you recommend me? I've had a quick scan across Amazon and the Sybex one seems to have worked a treat for most people leaving reviews.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-270, CCNA
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hmmm sounds good but lets ask a few questions... how much experience do you have? you done the MCDST which is 2 *MCP's* and working on 270. CCNA is alot more difficult than all 3 of those exams by the look of things.. If you dont have that missing knowledge then CCNA could be a problem.. consider the Network+?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. MonkeyWrench

I think I know more than I give myself credit for. I've spoken to people who have the N+ and they've said to skip it as they think I'm beyond it. I wouldn't say I'm a beginner, I have a basic network knowledge, it's just I don't know how to implement things.

4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

MonkeyWrench,

Which MCP exams have you passed so far?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd suggest going for the Cisco Press books as they are very good factually and technically.

Zimbo is right though that the CCNA is 'a lot' more difficult than the MCDST, so to go with the cisco material I'd suggest that you pick up something such as the CCNA for dummies book to give you some familiarisation with the materials.

8)

6. MonkeyWrench

I wasn't under the impression that the CCNA was going to be easy. I've worked with cisco equipment for a few years now and understand the theory behind it, it's just the configuration side I need to get to grips with. I'd rather go for the CCNA at the moment than another MCP.

I'll give the Cisco Press books a look. Cheers Simon.

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

oh, good, let us know how you get on.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I got something for you that im going to use before i look at CCNA (if i ever do) Its called CCNA Basics - Amazon UK and US dont have it BUT abebooks.co.uk do and if you hurry they got one for very cheap. I got mine off ebay for 10 quid so look on there. Its supposed to bridge your knowledge before looking at CCNA guides and althought its from 2002 its still highly rated. Also you might like the First Step Series from Cisco Press click here they also highly rated and started off assuming you dont know much

9. MonkeyWrench

Ahh nice one. I'll take a look at them when I get home. I've watched a few of the nuggets so far and it's been nothing too confusing/difficult, but it's probably the volume of infomation that's going to fry my brain! :)

10. MonkeyWrench

Cheers Zimbo! Just bought that CCNA Basics book for a whole £8.98! :) I'll post some thoughts on it once it arrives.

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

where did you get it from? Its out dated but worth a read before... also consider a Network+ book... take it from me it will fill plenty of gaps... do you know how to subnet? look into that if you dont... or you could end up like me... stuck!:biggrin :biggrin

12. MonkeyWrench

Bought it from the top link at abebooks.co.uk.

No I don't know how to subnet, but I will soon! :)

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

if im not mistaken a Network+ might be handy too... try get a newer version as possible.. will also help alot with stuff thats new so you can start from the basics... hmmm i must get one too sometime!:rolleyes:

14. MonkeyWrench

arghgh dammit. My order got cancelled because the book sold. The next cheapest one is nearly £30 :(

15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

look keep trying infact that site has a US version .com instead of .co.uk try ebay (US and UK)

16. MonkeyWrench

Yeah I'll keep an eye out. I get paid next week so I might just order the Cisco Press one anyway.

*EDIT*

Actually I'm going to give the Cisco Press books a miss for the time being, they're too expensive and there isn't just one book that covers the exam. I think I'll give the Sybex one a go following the glowing reviews it has gotten on Amazon.

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

18. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Plenty of options! :biggrin

What Cisco experience do you have? I’ve always had an interest in Cisco kit but haven’t really had a chance to implement a Cisco based solution. My boss has installed a network for a business park with VLANs\Wireless all with Cisco kit. Works well and supposedly Cisco equipment is great for that type of install. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. MonkeyWrench

I've worked with cisco kit for a few years but it's only been recently I've been actually administering it, still getting my head around IOS. Just the other day I was involved setting up a couple of VLANs on a site to try and pinpoint a issue with the Cisco VoIP phones (spliting the data and voice so we can take the data packets out of the equation and make it easier to monitor just the voice packets). However, I'm no expert, so it involved a lot of bumbling around, experimentation and Google searches. Got there eventually :)

I've gone ahead and ordered the Sybex book. I'm wanting to get stuck into this ASAP. I'm going to book the exam for November to give myself something to aim for. I study better when there's a deadline :)