CCNA Security or CompTIA Security +

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by CombatRock, Aug 26, 2012.

1. CombatRock

CombatRock Bit Poster

Hey guys,

I previously completed my CCNA, and i am now working through CCNP. I am trying to build up a good portfolio of certifications and knowledge that will help me gain employment after graduation.

I am wanting to earn a security certification as i know how much value is being placed on security just now. I am not sure whether to do CCNA security- which i would probably manage easily due to a fair bit of security stuff being in the CCNP im doing. Or go for the vendor neutral Comptia Security+?

Looking at it purely from he point of view of general employability- which is preferred in the industry?

Anyone who has done either of them- what did you think?

CR

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA SEC, INFOSEC (4011), MCP
    WIP: CCNP (R/S)
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi, if it were me, I'd continue down the Cisco route.

The learned skills will be transferable to other vendors without too much difficulty and it will sit better alongside the certs that you are already working on.

Unfortunately, without experience, the 'worth' of any IT Certs are limited but I can honestly say that in 14 years I have never seen a job being advertised as requiring "Comptia Security+".

HTH

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

What roles are you looking to do?

Pure/heavy networking influence then the CCNA Security will be more appropriate, but if it's a general info sec role you're after the the Sec+ will be more relevant.

I work in information security and the Sec+ is a good start/grounding in the field that can be built on, for a junior type info sec role it's the sort of thing employers like to see, and whilst those type of positions are rare the ones I've seen will note the Sec+ as either requirement or nice to have.

Remember they are pretty different things, one is a networking cert focusing on practical network security within Cisco products, the other a general information security cert.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to answer the question "which is preferred in industry" it depends on the industry within IT you are looking at, networking or general infosec :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012