CCNA labs

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by newman555, Oct 5, 2009.

1. newman555

newman555 Bit Poster

Hi everyone!

As you can see I'm new here and I have a little question concerning CCNA exam simulations.
    Can someone tell me where to find some good lab practice exams that are similar to the ones on the CCNA exam?
    I did find some labs that go trough CCNA material step by step but I specifically want examples and labs in which everything is included.

I have a little lab setup at home, 2x 2950 switch and 3x 2610 router so I would like a real exam like labs that can really prepare me for the real thing.

I did search the forum for this, but didn't find it, so, if I missed it, go easy on me :) Any help is welcome!
    Thank you!!!

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Since you asked: link 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Beat you to it.. :p

4. newman555

newman555 Bit Poster

thanks! but...

Is there anything out there that's free? Actually, I don't want any simulator, just a written example of one of the final simulations that are as hard as those on ccna exam. And I don't mean the solution, just the problem(or problems). I would really appreciate this...so, thanks in advance!

5. BosonMichael

I understand that you don't want to spend any money. But with free, you tend to get what you pay for... and sometimes, not even worth that - bad training CAN be worse than no training at all. Consider a high-quality practice exam or router simulator as a wise investment in your career.

What do you mean by "final simulations"? Simulations are simulations.

If you want to know what to study for on the exam, know how to perform ALL of the tasks discussed in the CCNA exam objectives. If the objectives say to know how to upgrade an IOS, then learn how to do that. If it says to know how to configure a router as a DHCP server, then learn how to do that. If it says to know how to configure IP addresses on a router, then learn how to do that. If it says to know how to set up OSPF or EIGRP or BGP, then learn how to do that. Then you'll be ready for anything they throw at you.

If you're looking for something more specific, then I'm sorry - there are no shortcuts that will help you to learn what you need to know. Either you study the exam objectives, or you don't. The choice is up to you. :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. newman555

newman555 Bit Poster

hm. I did pass every seperate objective that is in ccna. from rip, ospf, eigrp, vlan, frame relay...

I tought that on ccna exam you have simulations that include several of those objectives all put in one sim and I just wanted to see how hard a "real" exam problem looks like. If what I'm looking for doesn't make sense, then nevermind...thanks anyway!

7. BosonMichael

I think you're confusing "CCNA class" with "CCNA exam". Although you might have passed the objectives in your class, you won't have passed the "CCNA exam" until you pass the big-daddy 640-802 CCNA exam itself (not your class final exam, unless they use the real exam's score as your final).

That said, if you've done well in your studies thus far, you should be OK on the exam, provided you've gotten some hands-on IOS practice.

Although most of the questions on the CCNA exam are normal multiple choice questions, you may receive simulations as well. They may include several objectives together, and they may focus deeply on one single objective. The only way to prepare fully is to know how to configure everything on Cisco's exam objectives.

High-quality exam simulator products (like the one I pointed out to you) will let you know the kinds of questions (and at a similar level of difficulty) that the live exam has. Low-quality / low-cost / free exams will not.

8. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

The simulations on the CCNA require you to apply your working knowledge of various topics.
    These types of Sims are hard to set up on your own since you'll know what you did wrong. In your situation, you would need a Lab partner to create a scenario and misconfigure your hardware, and then you would have to troubleshoot.
    The closest you could get to this on your own is by using something like Boson Exsim which covers the same topics as the CCNA, and will provide "broken" configurations in which you need to troubleshoot and fix.

What have you used so far to prepare?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
    Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  9. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  10. newman555

newman555 Bit Poster

I've watched couple of different complete ccna video tutorials and configured everything while watching. I also have Lammle's book and if you say that learning this book and passing trough examples in it will be enough for ccna, then from now on, I'll just focus on this book.

11. BosonMichael

I would think that you'd be just fine if you did that. :)

12. blackbook

blackbook New Member

Here is the link for your labs, all are free *****

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2009
    Certifications: CCNP, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  13. BosonMichael

Not only does that link contain dump links, it contains links to an unauthorized version Packet Tracer, which, I believe, is only legally available from Cisco.