CCNA and the Open University

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Sandy, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi All

Just to let everybody know that the Open University are starting a CCNA course.

www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C02T228

Could be an option for anybody who wants lots of support when selp studying. Plus of you can use this toward a degree.

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

nice find Sandy, thanks for pointing it out
    I assume its based on the Net Acadamy format not soley the CCNA format? (im guessing this due to the 7 month time frame)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Phoenix

Yes, it sure is...

Having just failed by 20 marks the CCNA exam before I started my BEng I am tinking about doing this in a year or two as it gives me another qual and 30 points to my degree.

:p

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

if you do it externally can you still count it as 30 points towards your degree? good luck, you sure seem bogged down with study mate, but im sure it will all be worth it :)
    still processing all the crap to start my MSc this year, work may well pay for it, which would be a bonus, hence why im still looking into it all :)
    im sure my workload will increase exponentially thereafter, looking to do the 2k3 Security exams before I start, as they are a positive sign on my application

5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Sadly no! :(

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

heh, figured it wouldnt
    i suppose that helps keep standards high, I have sure seen some CCNAs that couldnt even show me the IP address of the router, so I guess by only giving the points for thier course they can continue to maintain standards with thier degree students, good call probably :)

7. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

Good find Sandy.

I work at the OU & didn't even know they were offering the course......... :D

Muff

Certifications: ITIL 2011,MCSA 2008,MCSA 2003,CEH,Security+,A+,Net+,i-Net+,270,290,291,648,646
  8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Always glad to help.

As you will see it is on it's first presentation and just a tad far foe me to travel but I hope they will have it in Region in 2006/7 once I have M206 and M301 done and dusted. :p

9. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

Looks like you will be busy for a while with M206 & M301! I’m sure if it’s successful it will roll out to regions at the next presentation. It’s to far me as well, as I’m based at Region 5 (Nottingham).

Muff

Certifications: ITIL 2011,MCSA 2008,MCSA 2003,CEH,Security+,A+,Net+,i-Net+,270,290,291,648,646
  10. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Good Luck

May see you in FirstClass :biggrin - You should be able to find me in there.

11. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

I'm booked on this one. I'll be happy to give some feedback on it. It starts shortly and all I know so far is there's 3 saturdays I have to go to lovely Luton *g* for practicals or whatever...

watch this space ...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  12. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Thanks Clyde

13. stupot

stupot Bit Poster

Yep i'm on this one too.

This will be my third OU course.......Hope to see you guys around the firstclass conferences.

Good Luck

Certifications: Cisco IT essentials I
    WIP: CCNA, N+
  14. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Clyde & Stupot

If you contact Gav he can give you my FC user name. I tend not to post in many open confences these days due to pre exam panic!:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

No probs Sandy - PM me if you want, Guys :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  16. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

I got my first mailing from the OU about the CCNA

A letter that assured me how good it all was, a guide to electronic submission of assignments, and a CD with a surprising collection of software including Sun Staroffice 7, Kapersky antivirus and firewall, OU conferencing s/w and much more.

Access to the course material is still disabled, so thats all for now

17. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

OK, I've now got access to semester 1 of the academy syllabus. No surprises so far... no worries either. It's like network+ but more depth. There's a 3 hour OU exam at the end of it all as well as the academy exams and tutor marked assignments.

So far so good. The course starts on Oct 1st.

18. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Not had any contact from my tutor yet and the Network Academy website or OU website doesn't exactly make it clear where the OU assignments are located, or when they would be made available so a minus there..

Do bear in mind though that its still a trial so I expect some glitches. I've emailed my tutor as I will be on my hols in november and need to do the assignment earlier or later..

so fingers crossed. So far, its much as I expected but as I said, info on the exams needs improving...

The OU also recommeds you buy 2 cisco press books. I've not done so yet as I may be able to borrow them...

19. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

right...

I dunno if anyone is interested in the thread or not but anyhow..

downloaded the first tutor marked assignment yesterday. Interesting...

I'm not willing to divulge whats in it precisely, but I will say it covers IP subnetting, Crosstalk, how optical fibre works and the differences between various networking h/w

There's a VERY interesting question on how routing occurs...

all in all, I reckon it'll challenge anyone new to the topic

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You look like you are talking to yourself, Clyde. BTW, *which* two Cisco Press books do you recommend?

Certifications: A+ and Network+