Cayman Islands ISP's want to implement DPI...

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by delorean, Aug 3, 2009.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I am a strong believer in personal privacy and 50/50 when it comes to traffic shaping. However, have a read of this:

http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=10384315

You can read a PDF of the full details here:

http://www.icta.ky/docs/DPI/CD 2009-4 Deep Packet Inspection.pdf

Oh and if you fancy wetting yourself with sheer laughter, have a read of this, it's truly EPICALLY funny:

http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=10384328

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Considering the sole reason for the Cayman Islands' existence is to act as a facility for companies and individuals to avoid paying their fair share of tax, I would have thought the companies (ahem) 'based' out of there would fight tooth and nail to prevent this!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

What is even more disturbing is that the Government (according to the PDF document) is assumed to be unsure if ISP's here are even using DPI already!

I'll fight tooth and nail for this. It's a small island, you'd be surprised how quickly 'gossip' spreads, seriously. The community is so tightly knit in the instance of a rumour mill that all it would take is for a rogue worker at 'X' ISP to pull up information on a particular user gathered from DPI for their own purposes or even be paid off.

Think of it not just from a residential user point but from a business point of view. Unless the data they transmit and receive is encrypted, any sensitive information they transmit unencrypted (and it will happen) could fall in to the wrong hands and be put up for sale to a competitor, outside enforcement agencies and so forth.

It's not like you have a wide choice of ISP's here either. 2 of them use the same 'wireless' technology (i.e. not even real broadband, but use of cellphone towers) to piggyback off each other and provide crap service (that's Westtel and Digicel if anyone cares) and the other two are LIME (formerly Cable & Wireless) which provide an overpriced but at least 'true' broadband package to home and business users. That leaves Telecayman as the only other provider who, like LIME, are also overpriced but only provide business lines.

Not exactly spoiled for choice eh?

DPI is just purely WRONG. So is the idea of traffic shaping that has been proposed. It reeks of Animal Farm (all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others). Check out the document to see what I mean.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA